Ford Ecoboost?

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by BDT, Mar 28, 2013.

1. BDT

BDT Senior Refuge Member

You know I had thought the last couple of years my next truck would be a 3/4 ton. But Looking at the Ford Eco and now getting info on the 2014 Chevy half coming out the towing on both is over 11,000lb with the benifit of much better mileage than the 3/4 ton. I still cannot find the Chevy 3/4 crew to test drive what the heck is up with that:scratch. 2014 chevy 5.3l has cylinder deactivation and shows will have slighlty better mileage and towing over the Eco Boost. Kinda waiting now to see 1st hand the new 2014 chevy 1500. Seems like the new half tons are more capable than the 3/4tons of the past.

2. Fowlarcher

Fowlarcher Elite Refuge Member

Just got a '13 myslelf, we thought about the ECO boost but were talked out of it by the sales guy for the same reasons. I am getting around 15.6 around town and got 19.8 on a trip to VA Beach, 700 mile round trip, basically one tank of gas

3. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I bought a 2012 eco boost on a loaded up F-150. Power in that thing is unbelievable. I pull a 28 foot travel trailer (about 8,000 lbs) and I was on a 2 laner behind 2 semis. I pulled at about 45 mph and floored it. When I started to pull back in after passing, I was doing over 70 mph and still accelerating. :tu Bad news was the gas milage isn't what they spout. I get around 18.6-19 mpg, at an even 60 mph, and my F-150 is the supercrew with 4x4 and FX4 package. It dropped last month and I took it in for service, and it turned out I had a bad left side turbo, which is fairly common. Replaced under warranty with no problem. Five year powertrain warranty up here.

I was looking at diesel, but couldn't justify the extra expense, both in cost of fuel, cost of the engine, cost of maintenance, etc. Unless pulling a load on a regular basis, it didn't make sense. I have put on about 30,000 km in 7 months, so I've got a good feel for the truck. I've done a few 8-9 hr trips in it, and I will admit it is the most comfortable vehicle, car or truck, that I have travelled in. The back seat area is huge.

Even with the turbo hiccup, I would recommend it.

4. CamoHunter870

CamoHunter870 Elite Refuge Member

What kind of mpg you getting when you pulling that big boat with the Eco?

I have the same truck in that was purchased in 2011 and I just pull a Polaris Ranger on a 6x12 flat trailer loaded with snow goose hunting gear and on the interstate driving (70 mph) I was getting in the low ten's for mileage which I was a bit dissapointed in. I also had a turbo go out on mine last fall and replaced under warranty. You are right, they have plenty of power :tu

5. BDT

BDT Senior Refuge Member

Do we now how much it is to replace a Turbo? I see some have had them replaced under warrenty but just wondered if anyone happen to hear? I really wish Ford had the same warrranty as GM.

6. BaRtMaN

BaRtMaN Moderator Sponsor

You will have at least 1000 - 1500 into replacing a turbo, depending on if they rebuild it or replace it and then the pop off and other items etc. Not a cheap fix. One thing to remember if you own something with a turbo let your vehicle start and idle to get oil to the turbo before you rev it up in the morning and let it idle down before you kill the engine so the turbo isn't spooled up and then you shut down the engine and it stops getting oil.

7. divinduck17

divinduck17 Senior Refuge Member

Took delivery of my '13 Ecoboost a week ago. This is my second one and they are a great engine with plenty of power and gets decent mileage EXCEPT when towing. Both trucks were running 3.73 gear ratios which are great for pulling.

Towing either my 20' Bayrider or my 23' center console the mileage is around 10-11mpg's at 60mph.

The trucks with 3.31 and 3.55 gears are doing better on fuel mileage with some reports over 20mpg but that isn't happening with the 3.73 unless you drive 55mph or less.

Ford does make a good looking truck though.
    [​IMG]

8. BDT

BDT Senior Refuge Member

That's a great looking truck divinduck. You said this is your 2nd Ecoboost? Did you have any problems with the 1st one?

9. divinduck17

divinduck17 Senior Refuge Member

BDT, I didn't have any issues with my first truck but it only had 9500 miles on it.

I think they are solid engines but like I said before if you go with the 3.73 gears do not expect great fuel mileage. The only reason my new truck has 3.73 gears is that was the only way to get the max trailer tow package. Also my last truck had 20in wheels and the FX4 package. It had a much stiffer ride than my new truck which rides on 18in wheels.

10. duckdoyle

duckdoyle Senior Refuge Member

I have a 2011 f150 lariat 6.2 ltr. the truck has been great. Owned a 2003 f150 king ranch prior with a triton engine, no complaints