Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Fort Hall Permit Fees

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by IFSteve, Sep 14, 2002.

1. IFSteve

IFSteve Elite Refuge Member

Jeers to the tribal council or whoever sets the hunting permit fees for the Fort Hall reservation. The price has been jacked to an outrageous $650 for waterfowl. This is almost double what it was last year (which was plenty stiff for what you get which is nothing more than the right to trespass).This is "their land" and they can do what they want but still.........:mad: :mad: :mad:

2. snuffy

snuffy Banned

Don't worry I will take you hunting. It will only cost you 50 bucks a day. After a 30 to 35 day hunting year i will be able to buy a res permit.

Just kidding.:sp

3. IFSteve

You want to take me hunting? That will cost $50/day all right but you will be the one paying.

And I ain't kidding..........ok yes I am. Still mad at the crazy res not sure what the heck to do.:(

4. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Wow. Still cheaper, though, than a decent blind down in California ($1200 and up per man).

Are they trying to keep people away?

Do they think the market will bear the price? Maybe they think Utahns will pay the price without blinking?

Does not hunting Fort Hall seriously knock down your hunting opportunity?

5. IFSteve

HH, I am not sure what the heck the tribe is thinking. Either think that everybody will keep on paying or else they really just want to keep people away. The hunting is really better there than anywhere else around here except that once the marshes freeze the duck hunting is on the river or the Fort Hall bottoms. Not having a boat makes the river tough to hunt.

I am not sure what I will do. I have hunted there for over 20 years and have a spot that is very special to me. Not any better than any other spot but I always have it to me and my buddy; its my own little slice of heaven on earth and I hate the thought of not being there opening day.:( :(

6. DoZeR

DoZeR Senior Refuge Member

IFSTEVE if you are ever in my area give me a Howler I can take you out for cheaper than $650.00.

Regards,
    DoZeR:D

7. avid_outdoorsman

avid_outdoorsman Senior Refuge Member

I think some of you hit it exactly on the head, they know what they have there and think (and are probably right) that hunters will continue to pay the fee.

If you live in Utah, why not. From what I have heard (no real first hand experience here) there aren't many geese in Utah when compared to what we have in SE and SW Idaho. Couple that with leases that run from $2,000-10,000 a year and why not come to Idaho and buy a reservation permit. Even if it does cost non-residents an extra $100 plus an out of state hunting license. You are still under a $1000.

I myself have been debating the "res" permit all year. I'm just getting into goose hunting and don't have many places to hunt (read between the lines here, like one and then only after the migrators are in). I knew that they were $400 or $500. Here is my dilema...$650 is a lot of $$$ for someone who is only going to realistically go hunting say 3-12 during the season. Additionally, not having hunted the reservation IMHO a person is going to spend a season or two finding some spots, learning their way around, etc. Again IMHO, it's too bad a guy can't do some looking around without buying a permit first.

I have heard that some farmers in around American Falls Resevior have formed a loose co-op of sorts and have an atternoy administering their hunting club, charging $25 a day to hunt. Maybe this is the way to go for someone who isn't going to hunt 30 or days a year.

Anyone have any thoughts.........

~AO

8. HaydenHunter

Perhaps the tribe could go to some type of resident / non-resident fee structure. It would be a shame for locals who have hunted the res for a lifetime be priced out because the market will bear higher permit fees for those from other states. I have nothing against hunters from other states and I understand the supply and demand principle. Heck, in California a good two man blind runs $1000 and up per man. But might there be some kind of break so that Southern Idaho hunters could carry on the tradition without going broke?

I wonder if the tribe would listen.

9. HaydenHunter

AO -

As far as fee hunting goes, $25 a day sounds reasonable for a producing area, if the alternative is no permission for hunting granted.

10. snuffy

snuffy Banned

Hey Avid, give a eamil on the coop at American Falls. I would go for that in a heartbeat.

Maybe if after a year with loss in bucks the tribe will see the problem. However due the green jello and carrot hunters spending thier bucks on the res it proably won't happen.

Any way let me know.

Bye the way there is a lot of ground to hunt on the white man side of the resevior, if you are willing to spend a day looking aroun on a 4 wheeler or truck (in a truck be carefull as there are soft spots that swallow trucks):h