Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Fort Hall Permit Fees

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by IFSteve, Sep 14, 2002.

1. seal

seal Elite Refuge Member

I feel for you guys. But consider yourselves lucky for now. More and more guys are leasing out their ground over here. We are talking 2000-5000/gun to hunt around Lake Lowell. $650 aint looking too bad to hunt anymore. Go over to the La. forum or the Tx. forum and see what they are paying to hunt-it will make ya fall out of yer chair.

2. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Seal-
    I hate to see prices of hunting leases go up so radically and so fast. I have thoroughly enjoyed hunting for FREE in this state.
    Yeah, we can't walk out thirty minutes before shoot time, pop the lid off the blind and shoot over our dekes that stay on the marsh all season but...it sure beats choking up thousands of dollars per year to hunt. I have been there and done that where I used to live.
    As I said in an earlier post on this thread, it is a shame to see guys who have grown up in Idaho hunting for free get aced out by the those willing to pay so dearly. Supply and demand is rearing it's ugly head in the southern part of the state as the population grows.

3. Birdawg

Birdawg Refuge Member

AH Steve that really sucks. Too bad considering that was the only place you ever killed a bird.

Seriously it really does suck. I am afraid that is the future.
    Personally I would rather go on a well run private land hunt anyway. $1200 is a lot for a blind BUT if it is your blind for the season you have less problems.

I would also be interested in the info on the American Falls location since I hunt over there alot anyway.

4. Peregrine

Peregrine Elite Refuge Member

Amen to that. I've lived here all my life, and hate what is happening here. To have lands that once were available to anyone for a handshake and "thank you" locked up by non-resident or new move-ins is a big source of resentment toward newcomers. The increased competition on public land doesn't help their reputation either. (This in addition to the severe degradation of quality of life in the area due to growth.)

I strongly feel that leasing hunting rights will be, in the long run, the death of the hunting heritage of this country. When only the rich can do it, it will lose the support of ex-hunters who have been forced out by leasing and other costs.

I know this area's still a lot better than where a lot of newcomers came from, but you'd have to live here as long as I have to see how far down it's gone.

Sorry if this offends any new Idaho residents; nothing personal against any individual. Some of my best friends came from California.

Paul

5. Birdawg

Birdawg Refuge Member

I can really understand how someone who lived here all their life would want to resent newcomers for what is going on. I hunt with a couple of native born Idahoians who are around 30 and never really remember when it was good.

On the other hand they can see how it is going to change for the worse if they just complain and do nothing more. I guess standing out side the leased areas isn't helping.

What we have been wandering is why don't the sportsmen of Idaho do more than complain and get a few things going like the walk-in hunting areas many other states have?

I guess they are like the rest of the native born sportsmen, it is just easier to blam it on Utah or California than actually do something.

I just don't know about them boys, I thought I raised them better than that. ;)

6. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

I should probably clarify (or admit) that I moved here from California in 1999. My comments aren't meant to bash or put down newcomers / out of staters, as that would be extremely hypocritical.

I monitor this forum and see an awful lot of guys from Southern Idaho talk about the changing scene. It's just a fact that the supply of huntable areas remains finite (or shrinks) while the user demand goes up with the general population increase and the resulting hunter increase. The extreme version of that is California, with 35 million people (more or less) and a severely limited availability of hunt areas. Most hunters either sweat the lottery at the refuges or they pay $1000 and up per season to lock in their hunting.

I feel for those in Idaho (or California or Washingon or anyplace else for that matter) that grew up hunting for free and have seen that privelege go away, or have seen the quality of their hunts go down as a result of crowded areas.

I really don't know what the answer is. I guess we are more fortunate in the North Part of the state, where publicly huntable areas are still in good supply for those who want to put in the time to scout and hunt them.

Birdawg, I like your suggestion that we should all get off our duffs and create more public hunting areas. I'd certainly be willing to put in the time to preserve free hunting in Idaho.

7. Peregrine

Birdawg -
    We've never needed to in the past. I guess there was some warning, but the last few years growth has been so sudden and so huge it has taken us unawares to a certain extent.

Also, a large number of native Idahoans are not the urban sportsman type. A lot are rural residents who have all their lives just walked out their own back door or gone to a friend or relative's land to hunt. The concept of leases, clubs, or other urbanized forms of sport hunting don't compute. You're asking to change an entire ethic, heritage and lifestyle that has been here for generations.

So now we're at a critical point and have no background on which to build a solution.

I assume by "walk-in hunting areas" you are talking about the cooperatives of landowners who agree to allow public hunting via some formal agreement with the state? That would be a wonderful idea. Maybe we could try to get something going here, formally take it to IDFG for input?

I'd sure be interested in working on something.

----
    update... I just left a voicemail on the subject of a landowner/sportsman cooperative for the Landowner Relations officer for the SW Region IDFG. I'll let you know what he says after he returns my call.

8. Birdawg

Birdawg Refuge Member

I hear you guys and I am not trying to put down the newcomers or the natives. I have spent 35 years living in Idaho trying to correct the mistaken location of my birth. I too use to walk out the back door of my place and shoot a limit of pheasants after work.
    I think we all agree times are changing much faster then we would like. Not 10 years ago I use to hunt quail southwest of Boise on private and public land. I would like to do that again but my expectations are low.

The walk-in hunting areas are really a boon to all us non-wealthy hunters. Rural states like Kansas and South Dakota have excellent programs.
    I would really like to see something like that here, the question is where to start? Some group needs to lead the charge. It is a no brainier for the F&G even in Idaho where any type of bird hunting is an afterthought. Trouble is the department is coward by the legislature. I brought up the idea of a state outdoors magazine to some people in the department and you would have though I wanted to outlaw religion.
    They sure need help and I too would be willing to lend a hand.

9. Peregrine

10. IFSteve

IFSteve Elite Refuge Member

Keeping my fingers crossed. The Sho-Bans were holding a meeting yesterday to reasses their permit fees for this year. They have been getting a lot of negative reaction ( well, duh!) Hopefully they will reconsider and bring the price down to something more reasonable. If I hear anything I'll post the results.