Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Fort Hall Permit Fees

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by IFSteve, Sep 14, 2002.

1. Take'EM

Take'EM Senior Refuge Member

IFSteve,

I know that I am one of the green jello and carrot hunters but I agree with all of ya. Leases have ruined the hunting in our state and I would love to see a no-lease law passed kind of like the no-club/guide law. I am sorry that out of state hunters seem to be the problem, because yes 650 is a good deal for someone comming from utah. I myself can not afford it. But, you cant blame us for wanting a place to hunt where we can kill birds and not deal with the huge crowds and morons we have down here. I know for those of us who hunt Idaho its kind of an unwritted law that you dont mention it too other utahns in fear of a invasion. If infact you dont buy a res. tag me and my buddies would be glad to take you out on the white mans side, we have some great places to hunt over there that produce regularly and would love for anyone on this forum to join us sometime.

2. IFSteve

IFSteve Elite Refuge Member

I have no problem with leases, hunt clubs and the like. However, I just think that the Sho-Bans have raised the price higher than what is reasonable for what you get which is really nothing more than access. Several years ago they started charging extra for what they call "habitat improvement." I have yet to see any "habitat improvement" work. It is a great place to hunt (but no better than the non-Indian side), I just have not had the time or wanted to take the time to run down landowners to ask permission so the res has always been nice from that perspective. Hopefully, they will reconsider and lower the price.

As to the fee being great compared to .....fill in the blank......we don't live in fill in the blank. So yes my house is cheaper, my hunting is cheaper, etc. Thats why I live here. But the bottom line is its their land and they can charge whatever they choose. I am not going to whine anymore about it I'll either pay what they ask or go elsewhere....thanks for the invite to the "other side.":)

3. snuffy

snuffy Banned

I will disagree with you about idaho sportsman just whining and not doing anything. We have tried over the years to introduce public access like MT has (where I grew Up) and also to limit out of staters from fishing on weekends on the crowded waters in SE ID.

We have tried to talk to the F&G commission and the outfitters board and we get told that we are making a big deal about a problem that doesn't exist. Basically and giant smoke up your dress manuver.

The reason the commission, the outfitters board and the govenor's won't listen is that they don't want to p##S off thier supporters(ie MONEY).

Until the commission is taken out of the govenor's office for appointment nothing is going to change as the new Idahon's (former out of staters) who have money to buy the gov and others ear the attitude won't change.

It is so bad that many of the F&G guys are looking for new jobs out of Id. They fear for their jobs if they say something that goes against the commission.

This is not right.

However it is life as those that have the money get what they want.

:confused:

4. Peregrine

Peregrine Elite Refuge Member

snuffy -

I never said we just whined or complained.

I haven't ever heard of a statewide organization pushing any changes, but I don't know what all smaller groups or individuals have done.

Re: intro'ing public access, did you see the thread on the program in the works?

Agreed politics is a very bad thing when mixed with wildlife management. Of course, I don't think politics are EVER a good thing.

5. Birdawg

Birdawg Refuge Member

Snuffy,
    T'was I that made the comments about Idaho sportsmen doing more whinning that work on issuses. I know that is not true for all and thanks to the help of the few who have stayed active we still have some hunting left for the non active sportsmen.
    I admit that I haven'
    t been active myself in the past 10 years or so but it is time I changed that, it really is tiresome hearing about all the trouble is because of the_______________(insert group of your choice).

As Pogo explained, WE are the enemy.

6. badhabit

badhabit Elite Refuge Member

When I went to school at ISU, I hunted the res. killed an average of 50 geese and a hundred ducks a year. The reservation permit had an initial fee, and if you did not break any law or get arrested they refunded the "bond" portion of the permit. Is the $650.00 fee a two part fee, x amount going for the permit and y amount for the bond that you'll get refunded??? If you get a refund on the bond of lets say 200 or 300, consider yourself lucky. What the Sho Bans have there on Am. Falls and the bottoms area a wildlife mecca. I've shot ducks, geese, pheasant, caught some really nice trout, shot carp and suckers with my bow till my arm fell off. I probably can take you guys to some area's that will impress you. I can't tell you how many times I've been stuck out on the mud flats when the frost thawed just alittle bit and the truck sunk to the axels. The willow tunnels are amazing. I've shot lots of ducks on the Portneuf that winds it's way thru. Or on the Snake. or on spring creek or Shot so many geese at Bannock Creek, or pass shot geese at Rainbow beach. Or decoyed geese off the airport. Back then the limit was 2, I'd shot my limit before my first class in the morning....those were the days........I'm looking at paying 1000.00 to 2000.00 to join a duck club. But I still shoot a 100 ducks a yr. All depends on how much you want to shoot ducks or geese.....BTW....can you put a price on your "recreation?" priceless to me......I'll pay to play....I know a spot near Hagerman, if I had 1mil, I'd be in duck and goose heaven. but for half that I could get a 1/4 mile of spring creek near Buhl.....pay to play boys........

7. IFSteve

IFSteve Elite Refuge Member

badhabit, how long since you have hunted the res.? I have hunted it for over 20 years now and it is getting enough pressure that the hunting has really slowed down. Low water hasn't helped either. As for the permit, you get $100 back from the $650.

8. badhabit

badhabit Elite Refuge Member

IF, lets see, I graduated in 82', so 20 yrs ago. I can still find my way around in the dark. Hey, anyone going to Blackfoot Res for the goose opener?? Best fishing I ever had in my life was after the Teton dam broke, all the hatchery fish that escaped.....I must have caught a 1000 fish that summer and fall over 4lbs..