Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Found the ducks.... and maybe geese

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Smackdown 870, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Smackdown 870

Smackdown 870 Elite Refuge Member

Was up in the Mid-east part of PA this weekend and I can tell you I saw more ducks in three days then almost all of this year hunting. They were all puddle ducks and looked fat and had no cares in the world. I saw several small ponds that were covered. I also saw a ton of geese up around the Allentown area. Years ago I told my wife.. there is no waterfowl hunting up this way.....I am starting to reconsider... I bet a lease would be real cheap....oh and no cover crops.

2. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Mid East PA....HERE WE COME!!!!!!

3. Grey Goose

Grey Goose Senior Refuge Member

I was up in North Central PA last week and the ponds around there were empty. They are normally loaded up this time of year.

4. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Coming up on the full moon and a cold snap with decent N-W wind next week I think we may see a notable push right before the season opens. I was rigging diver decoys earlier today. Foolish.

5. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

There are lots of divers down in certain areas. Hope they stay here and more come down.

6. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

I'm not sure ducks come here when we have NW winds. I'm starting to believe that birds migrate until they hit a southerly wind and stop. I've really noticed this more and more. The other day we got a push of new snow geese. I could hear migrating geese where I was near the Virginia line, and followed that up with reports of new geese all the way up into Delaware. The wind that day was a light S/SE.... everytime
    I get excited about a good hard cold northerly wind, it seems to push birds out, not in. There is an abundance of food this year, and I don't see any reason for birds to push further, except they didn't hit a southerly wind until they got past us. It sort of makes sense, they get pushed by the northerly winds, and instead of flying into a head wind, they stop. I've also noticed snow geese migrating in the spring into a strong north wind. So it's either they migrate into the wind, or they just go when they want.

7. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Scotty,

Now that you mention that I can think of several days in the past few years, including last week, when we had light S/SE and migrator ducks. I do feel like I see more of them on the calm days, but I'm not sure if that is due to more migrating or more my ability to see them in those conditions.

I kicked up about 400 bluebills in an unexpected spot over here yesterday, perfectly protected by a surface to air defense system. Not kidding

8. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

Then shouldn't we receive birds from the north, just as the wind pushed our birds out?

9. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

You would think, but that sort of goes with the theory- if the wind was north, they pass us by.

10. Smackdown 870

Smackdown 870 Elite Refuge Member

I am not sure what is going on but I have not seen any puddle ducks with any numbers anywhere I hunt this year. I thought last year was bad.. man this is the pits. Years ago I would see huge flocks of puddle ducks come off high following the Chesapeake bay or Delaware river south....almost up in the clouds.... now nothing its like we are stuck with local birds.