Fountain Grove

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by linhardt, Oct 24, 2017.

1. linhardt

linhardt Refuge Member

It's been 20+ years since I have been to Fountain Grove and this year will be the year I go back to give it a try, just been too far of a drive to regularly hunt it for me. I know they have done many changes since those 20+ years. Give me a little insight what I might be in for this year. Not sure if they are still doing any construction like they have been in the past. Anyone been around there this year?

2. TooTall

TooTall Elite Refuge Member

3. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

They have been under construction with that side or this side shut down since I started hunting 30 years ago. I know there is upkeep and maintenance but this area certainly does its share of it.

Good luck

4. linhardt

linhardt Refuge Member

Thanks for the link. Did not know that was available. I guess I should have looked more on MDC Site.

Can anyone tell me more about the different pools? Which ones are better for layout boats or you will need a boat to get into. What about the MAC pools? Never seen or been to that area. I can see the parking area, but can you get to 3,4, or 5 via boat or is that more for walk-in? Looks to me that you would put boat in MAC 1 or 2, then pull over levy to access 3 or 4? Not wanting any info on best spots to hunt, just mainly wanting some insight on what is the best way to hunt each of the pools such as using boat, walk-in, etc. The few times I have went there to hunt I was in a blind and that was in the 80's so don't really recall much about the area.

5. TooTall

TooTall Elite Refuge Member

Anthony,

Honestly, I think you'd do best to talk to the area managers out there. That way you aren't getting second hand info. Call the regional office, and they can put you in touch with them. They'll have the most accurate info and will be more than happy to help out.

6. linhardt

linhardt Refuge Member

I have tried to contact Bryan Anderson via E-mail two days ago but not a reply yet.

7. Mack Molloy

Mack Molloy Elite Refuge Member

I would imagine they are pretty busy right now...Have you tried calling the HQ 660-938-4124 early in the morning?

From what I have heard, the east side has corn...that would be Mac, Robbins, etc. should be some pretty good habitat. I am like you, it has been several years since I hunted Fountain Grove and all of my buddies have retired from MDC. Good luck!

8. linhardt

linhardt Refuge Member

No I haven't Mack. I thought email would be best because of them being busy then a phone call. Thought they could reply whenever they had the chance. But maybe they're too busy for that also. Thanks for the information Mack.

9. linhardt

linhardt Refuge Member

Brian responded to the email and I got the info I needed. :tu

10. Mack Molloy

Mack Molloy Elite Refuge Member

Buzz Jacobs passed away so you won't have to worry about the wood stove being cranked up and the temperature hovering around 80! Be sure and stop by the Meadville Café and get a piece of pie.

D Stuart, TooTall and linhardt like this.