Four Rivers CA

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by addicted2duck, Sep 20, 2016.

1. addicted2duck

addicted2duck Refuge Member

We hunt there several times a year and have only seen Water Patrol one time. And that's because we had to call them because one of my buddies about got ran over in the boat lane by a big boat.

The powered layout boats is what I'm really curious about. I would say that 95% or more of the layouts in Missouri are not registered. Ours included.

I figured they would be down there a lot this year after the death last year. What gets me is, why were they not there that day? They want to "enforce" these laws after a loss. They know how bad it gets down there when it floods. They closed all the draw pools. Why not that unit too? Just some things I've been thinking on.

2. Cliner

Cliner Elite Refuge Member

I haven't hunted there in a couple years but they were out in force for a couple years.

addicted2duck likes this.
  3. MO-trapper

MO-trapper Senior Refuge Member

People are discussing 2 totally different things here. The original question was about water patrol, not "wardens". "Wardens", what are actually MDC agents, can only write tickets for game violations. Water patrol can only write for the boating/operating violations.

I've seen MDC agents at the ramp several times midday. Glad to see them out, but they aren't doing much good then/there. All the illegal birds shot have been stomped in the mud or hidden by the time they get to the ramp. I'd venture to say on any given day, they could write multiple tickets for shooting WAY too early/late.

Back to the original question, I've only seen actual Water Patrol once, and they were looking for a guy that flipped his canoe last year in the flood waters of 4. I'll admit, I was out there without a PFD and should have had one, the flood conditions there are dangerous. If they want to enforce that, ok fine. But licensing and fire extinguishers on a layout with a trolling motor (what I operate)??? Man that seems like a stretch, on any body of water.

Also, disagree that they should shut it down or can shut it down during flooding. The rivers, lakes, marshes all become dangerous during flood conditions, we all know that but go anyways. They can't shut the rivers down which are probably the worst. I get shutting down during a body search but outside of that isn't it public water, especially if you could access it from the connecting river way - like you can at most areas?

So I guess I have the same question, are they going to start enforcing this on layouts? They never have and it would be a total surprise to everyone at the ramp. If they want to, they need to post some signs, announce it at the draw, and make everyone well aware of it before they start fining people.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  4. kdog

kdog Elite Refuge Member

What a joke ...Yes duck parks are public /state/mdc property .....by draw in only ...But its not a public waterway were anyone can go in and motor around

DEADEYE likes this.
  5. skywatcher1

skywatcher1 Elite Refuge Member

My waders leak will i get a ticket for taking there water

dux/24 7 and addicted2duck like this.
  6. dux/24 7

dux/24 7 Elite Refuge Member

Not if you register it on your check out card. And which pool it came from.

7. ALLSTAR 1

ALLSTAR 1 Elite Refuge Member

why would you not register your layout boats if they are powered? It is the law. Do you steal candy from the C Store? Use lead shot when you waterfowl hunt? Pick and choose, go in early stay late.. hey its all about you.... Drive down levees to dump off your stuff.. not my ruts to fix.. where does it stop?

8. skywatcher1

skywatcher1 Elite Refuge Member

I hunt off the levees and i use lead #4 and if its to far yes i drive down levee to drop stuff off as its more convient for me as it is land i pay for!!!!

9. N3ckBe@rdSkyBust3r

N3ckBe@rdSkyBust3r Senior Refuge Member

Dosent matter what it is, if it floats and has a motor it has to be registered. If it is under 12 foot and only uses oars or paddles you do not have to register it. Trolling motors no longer need to be registered. So yes, you need to register a layout boat if it 12 foot or larger and "or" you are going to use something other than oars or paddles, this includes mud motors, and transom mounted trollers. Not that hard guys...

10. Fowlballer

Fowlballer Elite Refuge Member

On public waterways