Four Rivers Project

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by moxofmallards, Jun 22, 2009.

1. drahthaarducker

drahthaarducker Elite Refuge Member

Be careful , speed is overrated!

2. moxofmallards

moxofmallards Senior Refuge Member

Dude it's not a speed demon by any means and is plenty safe. Like i said it now has the capability to push through more ore maybe even tow another skiff, if i wanted to build it for speed i'd be running a methnol motor:dv

3. dubob

dubob Senior Refuge Member

Brandon,

A friend just told me about this thread and I thought I?d wade through it. It is an interesting read to be sure. I traded a GoDevil 5.5 Honda electric start model for my current GoDevil 6.5 B&S electric start model. The main reason for the change was the Honda starter motor. It was too small to handle turning the shaft in all that cold grease in the colder months of November through January here in Utah. In fact, Cocoa quit offering that model with the electric start due to the burn outs.

I run mine on a Grumman Sport Canoe. It does okay and always gets me out and back in even if a little slow. Being close friends with the GoDevil dealer at the time, I had the opportunity to run a 9hp long shaft on the Grumman a few years back and boy did it fly. However, the weight and weight distribution was terrible and so it never got past the one time test phase. But I still have fond memories about the performance.

I never even thought about souping up the 6.5 hp engine until now. Maybe that would be the key for some more power and a little more speed. If I could run the hp up to around 10 to 12 hp, I might be able to turn a bigger blade at the same rpm. I currently run a 7-3 prop. With a doubling of the hp, I might be able to move up to a 9-5 or 9-6 prop at the same rpm and grab a lot more water without cavitating the prop. I?m going to look into it some more to see what my options are.

I?m not looking to beat those guys from Thailand in their boat races, but I would like to move 2 hunters, a dog, gear, etc a little quicker in and out of the marsh and be able to plow through vegetation and shallow water a little easier.

Thanks for posting and giving me some ideas about my own possibilities. Good luck with your project. I look forward to seeing it through with you.

4. jdbuckshot

jdbuckshot Senior Refuge Member

just swap the motor to one of these

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com...) shaft, 2:1 Gear Reduction, Low Oil Shutdown

Honda makes one also. then you can turn a 9x5 prop and really get it through the mud.

Its gonna cut your rpms in half, but you can pull the governer and really get some more kick out of it.

Mud buddy makes these in a 12hp, and a 6hp. they call them there hyper longtails. best money for the weight of the engine and the power it puts out.

the 12hp 2:1 can turn a 10x8 prop. same prop turned by a 20hp.