Foxs eating the ducks

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by howard s., May 11, 2015.

1. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

Brother had 36 ducks at the 1th of March and now he down to 12.
    Foxs are working him over petty good this year.:doh
    Anybody got a like story to tell I would like to here it.:)

2. Mark Brendemuehl

Mark Brendemuehl Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Any chance it is something else as well? Owls? Mink? I have a friend that lost ducks like it was free to a mink.... He finally found it dead in the pen, as his choc lab pummeled it.

3. howard s.

Nope they're foxs...got one today.

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I have free range bunnies. We don't eat em, just like having em around.
    [​IMG]
    When it isn't real cold, the dog stays in a kennel outside. She barks if something comes around. One week, she started barking about the same time every night. I would go out with the spotlight and 10/22. One night I got a glimpse of a fox, but no shot. We were losing a bunny a night. Found blood in the snow. Then, I got lucky. 3 nights, 3 dead fox. I got two, one got hit by a car at the end of the property. I gave the skins to a local trapper. He was happy.

I live in the woods, so I accept that I share the land with the critters. But a bunny a night, for a week, was a little much.

5. howard s.

Pets and livestock is one thing.:fp
    Ever thing wild...well that the way life is.

6. RedDog

RedDog Elite Refuge Member

Lost all my turkeys, most of my chickens and all but one of my ducks this summer but it was a combination of a great horned owl and foxes. Got pissed off and bought 2 Great Pyrenese Mountain dog pups. 20 weeks old now and weight over 60 lbs each. They are amazing at how fast they have learned their job. No more lost chickens and don't have to worry about coyotes hitting the lambs this summer. They should be around 100-150 lbs by then. I will rebuild the flock this spring now we have full-time killers on patrol.

7. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Dog treed a bobcat the other morning, right out the back door. Dispatched said cat quickly. Figured all would be good. Motion light came on last night, and I looked out the window. Another bobcat. Dang!