Franchi affinity....

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by negooseman, Nov 23, 2017.

1. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Looking at the Franchi affinity. Any pros/cons?

2. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

I had an I-12 and an Affinity (same guns really). I liked the recoil spring around the mag tube and the inertia action. The I-12 ran right for about 2 months, 3 trips back to Benelli and they finally sent me a new one that I sold NIB. The Affinity came out and I bought one after they had been on the market for a year of so. Read all the good reviews. If the trigger group got the slightest bit dirty and then wet, the gun would quit working. In that we hunt big water for divers most of the time, this was not a really favorable characteristic. I ran the gun wet, dry, in between...... Sold it. A friend had Vinci that never seemed to stop working and fit me well. Found one used NIB and have not looked back.

Irrespective of what people will try to tell you, it is not a Benelli for $600 less. It's virtually identical to the Stoeger 3000. Why not spend even less and roll the dice. Chances are it will work fine.....unless it doesn't.

3. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

It uses the same Benelli inertia system, correct?

4. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

I've shot one. It will be my next semi auto. Going to buy the compact model for the wife and kids. We put several hundred rounds through it that day. For me it was like shooting heat seeking rounds.

5. markd

The bolt is the same as the Benelli, my guess is that some of the parts are interchangeable.

6. ronaldo

ronaldo Senior Refuge Member

I believe the bolt is the same as a Benelli. The Franchi's bolt return spring is located around the magazine tube, like most Beretta's, all Benelli's return springs are in the buttstock. Actually all Benelli's except the Vinci......its spring is in the receiver.

7. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

I believe the Intensity was improved to replace the I-12. I bought the Intensity last year and love it ... so much so that my Winchester SX3s are now my backup guns and the Intensity is the one I use.

I think they incorporated some of these design changes into the Affinity (3"), and now call both the 3 an 3 1/2s Affinitys.

SKFOOTER and ronaldo like this.
  8. markd

The Affinity was the replacement for the I-12. They then added the Intensity, now there's just the Affinity either 3" or 3.5". Odd to me to have the same gun renamed 3 times in 10 years or less.

Not sure what Franchi changed other than cosmetics on any of the models. Maybe a stamped piece here and there (shell lifter?), but the overall system is the exactly same as the original I-12. I really wanted them to work, but the entire line was unreliable for me and the conditions I hunt in.

9. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

I didn't think the I-12 was replaced by a 3 1/2 Affinity? A year ago the choice was an Affinity (3"), or an Intensity (3 1/2"). They just rolled the design differences from the Intensity into the Affinity line and simplified it by now naming them both Affinitys. Unless I missed something???

The "overall system" is very much like Benellis. Sorry your older models didn't work out. For me and the conditions I hunt under (normal, like cold, wet, frozen, sandy, muddy, and salt-water) mine has done very well. Like I said, I chose it before my 2 SX3s now.

10. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

Hunting buddy had a 3" gun, guess it was the intensity and after firing the first shot the bolt wouldn't slide all the way forward to engage the shell into the chamber. This happen to him several times over several days and a couple cleanings. He went back to his SX3 after that day. Over the years he's showed up at the pit with several new guns and I only show up with my Belgian Auto 5, in 12 or 20. Both a mid '60's guns and despite what anybody says or shows up to hunt by me with, the Auto 5, has been and still is THE quintessential autoloading shotgun. I've shot 1100's,Versa max, V3, SX1-3, Benelli, franchi, beretta, browning gold lite and those guns are all so cheaply made it's sickening to think what getting for there money, when you could have bought an Auto 5.

sbezoey likes this.