Franchi affinity....

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by negooseman, Nov 23, 2017.

1. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

I've never heard of a 3" Intensity. Could you post up a link to that? :confused:

As for the 1960s era A5s, I wonder why they quit making them if they were so great? :dv

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  2. Sunklands

Sunklands Senior Refuge Member

I'm not sure what model franchi it was and since I wasn't impressed with its performance, that's why I probably gave it so little thought. They didn't quit making them in the 60's, they continued making an excellent gun until the mid 90's. I think the biggest reason FN/Herstal quit making the Auto 5 was several reasons. Number one was it cost a lot of money for a 1 piece machine steel receiver. Number two was the gun was not offered in 3.5" chamber and number three was the market was trending towards gas operated guns. It may have more recoil than some guns but it'll cycle anything and I've never had one break down in the field in over 20 years of shooting them and they were shot habitually 35 years before that.

3. 43x

43x Elite Refuge Member

Like anything else sales is what killed the A5,
    Franchi 48 was the last long recoiling barrel shotgun offered here in US ,

4. dla

dla Senior Refuge Member

+ lightweight, + simple, + recoil spring in forearm , +reliable

- will not feed SAAMI max length shell from magazine. -hard to get recoil pads.

ronaldo likes this.
  5. wingmatt

Out of curiosity, is that some kind of special reload shell? I've never heard of it. I do know from commercial shells I've had no issues of a mixture of Fiocchi, Federal, HM, and Remington shells (mostly 3", but some 3 1/2").

6. dla

dla Senior Refuge Member

SAAMI specs a max COL for a fold crimp shell at 2.7", a roll-crimped shell (RTO) at 2.8". Franchi won't feed a 2.7" shell from the magazine. Usually this is only an issue with handloads.

If you measure the typical 3" 12 or 20 ga shell it will be 2.6" or less.

7. DtSB

DtSB Senior Refuge Member

I had one for a few seasons. I loved it when it worked, but hated having to keep it impeccably clean at all times. The least bit of dirt would cause headaches.

8. marbleye

marbleye Senior Refuge Member

My experience has been 100% opposite in regard to cleaning, I used a 20 gauge Affinity for the last 3-4 seasons in all types of weather, throw in 5 days of shooting snows in Arkansas at the end of each. Not proud of it but cleaning my guns falls pretty far down my list of things to do (maybe one time over the course of the season). Recoil spring on the magazine tube stays squeaky clean regardless. Maybe those having issues are part of the
    "HARD CORE" crowd and put more time on their Franchi Affinities than the recreational hunters like myself?

goosenazi likes this.
  9. wingmatt

"One" what? I-12? older model Affinity? A5?

10. wingmatt

My experience has also been it (Intensity) is very easy to clean, and has been 100% reliable. It's easier to clean than my SX3s, for sure. But that is the inertia vs gas design .......