Fred Bear Element Adjustment?

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by Duckin Around, Aug 20, 2009.

1. giantkiller

giantkiller Senior Refuge Member

The bow will go to a 31" draw. The mod that you will need is a RSH 1. Any Bear dealer can get one for you.
    As far as the knock pinch with a draw lenght that long you are going to have it on just about any bow. It is not that big of deal if you are using a D-loop. Who ever sets the bow up for you will no how to set it up to take most of the knock pinch out.

2. wingmastr23

wingmastr23 Elite Refuge Member

You got the right idea.....Like mentioned above, it will be difficult for you regardless of the bow - because of your draw length.....

Also, like previously mentioned, get a D loop...and you will get away with it....but you might need to consider that when changing out the module (You might try 30 1/2 with a D loop)....This will work.

Here is a great little "how to" on a D loop - http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/196301-how-tie-nocksets-d-loop.html

However....with all that being said - If I were helping you with a new bow - I would push you toward a longer bow.

3. Duckin Around

Duckin Around Senior Refuge Member

Guys,

Thanks so much for the info:tu That really helps out. I will definitely make sure to get the D loop on, then try different lengths and hope I can find a combo to make this bow work. Hopefully it'll be good enough to put a deer on the ground in a few months!

4. takemrarely

takemrarely Elite Refuge Member

If you get it to work, your WILL be happy w/ that bow...I bought one from Dick's sporting goods this year, (was last year's model), and I love it....

Happy Hunting!

5. bumper

bumper Senior Refuge Member

A string loop will NOT change the draw length of the bow.....it will only change where you anchor....a 29" draw is just that...29"......I have set up bows for many guys and very few need a 31" draw.....Most people tend to get their draw length too long...go to a pro shop and have them evaluate your form...correct draw length is probably the most important component to have precisely accurate. Don't even worry about shooting the bow until you get the draw length correct. Good luck

6. Powerstrokn247

Powerstrokn247 Elite Refuge Member

I shoot an Element and like it so far, go for it only if it will work for you:tu

7. Duckin Around

Duckin Around Senior Refuge Member

Guys, just a quick update. First of all, thanks for all the info, it really helps a newbie like me:tu I took the bow into a shop and had my draw length measured, a full 31". So we lengthened out the dl with a new module. It already had a D loop, so that was nice. Had to move the peep sight up as well. Took it home to resight the bow in. Started at 7 yards not knowing how far the sight would be off. Well, it was off a good 6". Finally got it sighted in at 7, then moved back to 10 and set the pin in. Also, all my shots were off to the left about 2 inches, so got that moved as well. I am hoping that is not due to some bad form, but we'll see.

I am ready to sight in the 20 yard pin, just ran out of time. My next question is if so far I have only moved the entire sight and not the pins themselves, just curious if the rest of the pins should be already sighted in, or if they will be off quite a bit? (since the previous owner had it sighted in already). I guess I will find out soon enough, but figured someone on here will know the answer!

Thanks again guys!

8. Duckologist

Duckologist Elite Refuge Member

If you didn't change the poundage that you are pulling, it will likely be sighted in. Of course that depends on how much you change from the old set up regarding arrows, weight of the tips and all that.

9. Rea's Dad

Rea's Dad Refuge Member

I too am a long draw- measure 32" but shoot a 31"

There are several things you can do now. Go to archerytalk.com and look up walkback tuning. That is an easy way to be sure everything you have is set. Also, there is a ton of other info on there if you don't care to wade through the brand bashing and such.

As far as the rest of the pins being already set, I doubt it. Too many variables- Here are a few:
    1. Previous owner didn't know how to shoot
    2. I assume you are using different arrows than before just from the fact that you are 2" longer in draw.
    3. Your arrows, if the same weight and spine as previous owners will fly faster if the bow is in tune. You should be 10-12 fps faster just from the increased Draw length.

At short distance and "pie plate" accuracy, you won't be able to tell a whole lot. But, when you start shooting longer distances, you will be able to tell. By then you will be "hooked" though and nothing will ever be good enough!

I am glad you have a shop nearby. Go aggravate them to death, buy some arrows and other accessories and they will help.