Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Freelance hunting

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Duncan, Dec 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HeathK

HeathK Senior Refuge Member

Oops, I sure didn't mean to imply that you were 'dumb enough', just that I did not have the patience to color a picture for my learned friend from WI. :tu :tu

Well said and much more politically correct than I would have said it. It was hard to stomach his pontifcal thoughts regarding the future of our waterfowl tradition and how American NR's and their $$$ are going to save it. Ah yes, that almighty American dollar to the rescue!!!!

AGREED completely! And this is why I think we should apply the "American way" to NR Alien freelancing in Canada and force them to pay for a guided hunt. It is what they understand. They attach a dollar value to everything. So if you have the best waterfowl hunting in the world, and we do, we should charge NR's for it accordingly.

It seems like Canada is today what many states were 50-75 years ago when it comes to waterfowl hunting; great hunting, easy access with little to no expense and lots and lots of birds.

Tikka I have said this before on this post; we know it works well for NR deer hunters and NR bear hunters in MB, any thought as to why we should ignore it for watefowl???

2. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

OK we been bashed- now tell me where Canadian values re waterfowl are??Seems like to me that you have about 1/5th of the hunters you had before you applied your English/ Australian values to gun ownership????
    As for making us pay for guides etc- ok-why not but then get some guides who can guide and who can find ducks etc- if Americans are buying up guiding operations and doing such a bad job ship them home- This years experiences for me in BC and Sask SUCKED and at $6000+ USD it hurt- Both outfitters were Canadians not Yanks.
    If we're really so bad CLOSE the border--I had and still have many friends in Canada ( from Yukon- Ontario)some of them are really nice folks.
    Ah well like above posts I'm rambling now --Nuff Said

3. tikka300

tikka300 Elite Refuge Member

You win Ralph!

I'm done:rolleyes:

4. SeniorCoot

Me bash Canadians- I beg you pardon- I speak from experience and for the folks who hunted with me or with 2 other outfitters in the Invermere area. And should I not complain whether it's a Canadian or USA outfitter? The oufitter in BC is presently under investigation byGov't rep from area and BC guide board. The outfitter in Sask sold out and didn't even tell his booked and paid clients until one day prior to arrival and then told us res was no good and blamed new owner who is not worth much either.(a Yank)
    and on other note are you saying that you have more hunters in Canada today than before Registration Laws?? NO-WAY!
    This thread is getting silly- you said, I said, all BS.

5. nemont

nemont Elite Refuge Member

All I can say is that my group used to freelance and last year, for the first time, we went guided. It was terrific experience and for a three day hunt the cost was actually less then what we used to pay when we freelanced. For what we did and the experience we had it was a bargain.

We didn't have to spend hours and hours spotting fields. I know some will say that makes me just a shooter not a hunter but I disagree. We still had to call, position the decoys, etc, etc. We cleaned our own birds and didn't dump them.

It really isn't "big money" to go up and enjoy a hunt. Now the Canadians I have met and got to know are first class people. They always treated us right as long as we remembered we were guest in their country.

Once while we were up there our decoy trailer was broken into and we lost a lot of valuable equipment. Guess who they caught with our stuff, another group of American Freelancers:mad:. I will still go to Canada if they require a guide or not. I am not anti freelancer I just love going up there and having the opportunity to hunt.

Nemont

6. SeniorCoot

nemont--I agree with you re freelancing- I often go with guides both for big game and waterfowl- most experiences in Canada hasve been good this year excepted but I've also had bad times in USA in MT or one doesn't mean I don't go to MT any more- above stuff got way out of hand but sometimes does on here--Now i go to MB and freelance if that what hunting with friends on sons farm is- also use guides in Mb and SK.

7. duckmann

duckmann Elite Refuge Member

Just curious. What entitles Canadian hunters and Mexican hunters to shoot large limits??? Don't want a lot of BS. Just a reasonable explanation. I really think you'll be hard pressed to come up with one.

8. Ruff

Ruff Elite Refuge Member

Well In Mexico it's the lack of hunters. Very few local's that can afford to hunt the rest are Non residents that travel there. Interesting fact that was stated on the DU TV show on a hunt in Old Mexico that there are more ducks killed on opening day of the California season compaired to the whole season in Mexico. I suspect that holds some what true for Canada also.

9. Cuppedwings.ca

Cuppedwings.ca Elite Refuge Member

Duckmann,

I am not familiar with limits in the states. In manitoba, our limits are 8 ducks daily 16 total in possesion of which only two can be cans or redheads and 5 dark geese (15 in possession) and 20 white geese daily (80 in possession). So we can only legally hunt a maximum of 2 days for ducks per season legally in our good areas unless we have a few good feasts. How many birds can you legally shoot per season there? The hunting pressure is really miniscule as far as where we hunt. Might have something to do with higher daily limits... I think saskatchewan dark goose limit is higher but I don't think that they are as wide-spread across entire province as here... could be wrong, I don't get out much lol. What are the limits in your state?

10. Fanatic

Fanatic Elite Refuge Member

how about very few people hunting compared to Illinois...
    If our hunting population increased substantially our bag limits were decrease...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.