Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Freelance hunting

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Duncan, Dec 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Band Buster

Band Buster Elite Refuge Member

WOW!!! I could not even read all the posts on this topic. I have never been to your country but have always wanted to. After some of these posts I dont think I want to come there anymore. Some of you will say good stay home. I will tell you all this. I am a human being just like you. I try to be ethical, considerate and law abiding at all times. I payed for one hunt and hated sitting there waiting to be told to shoot. Witch is why I would chose to hunt without a guide. I hope you all can open your eyes and realize that AMERICANS are not all slobs and criminals. When those animal rights people try to take your hunting good luck keeping it without americans help. Not because were better than you but there is strenth in #s and god knows america's got hunter #s. I am sure there are canadians that are slobs and criminals so please stop blaming all americans were not all bad! Its all about good fun with friends and family and a few dinners to boot! Thanks for reading and good luck to everyone american and canadian.

ps I know the hunting is probably not as good but if any of you canadians want to hunt long island NY pm me. I would love to show ya how I and most americans hunt. BB

2. sjemac

sjemac Moderator

2001 Harvest Data: All of Canada had 2.2 million waterfowl harvested. About the same number as Louisiana. The US killed 20 million waterfowl that year. You got 10 times the population and kill ten times the birds we do.

Reasonable Enough?

We're entitled to a larger limt because we kill less overall. We're not just here to fatten 'em up and send them south.

3. HeathK

HeathK Senior Refuge Member

Sjemac; does that value of 2.2 million include those harvested by American NR's huning in Canada? If so, any idea what that number would be indepenent of the total value?

4. duckmann

duckmann Elite Refuge Member

The tone of this thread and similar ones in other waterfowl production areas is one of the reasons I have no hope for the future of public waterfowling and am considering giving it up after 30 years of chasing ducks. I have never been blessed to live in an area that is rich in waterfowl. I have been able to scrape the money together a couple of times to sample other areas. Never Canada or the Dakotas. I am passionate about the history of waterfowling in North America. I love old decoys and calls. I live for sunrises in the marsh and watching ducks work to decoys and the call. I don't have to limit out to have a good day. Good friends and a few opportunities to create memories are all I need to be successful. Maybe it is because of forums like this that allow us to be in touch with each other but I can hardly bear the protectionistic attitude of most hunters in waterfowl producing areas. Yeah, I didn't fatten them up for you but most of you didn't either. You may live there and pay taxes but it wasn't your grain that fed the birds (unless of course you are a farmer). Maybe somebody encroached on your prime hunting area but it wasn't me. I don't like it when it happens to me and I sure am not going to do it to somebody else. Quitting duck hunting will be the hardest thing that I will ever do. But I'm just about there. What unreal animosity.:(

5. Rem Choke

Rem Choke Senior Refuge Member

Band Buster

Please do not mistake us Canucks as American hating bashers who think of our US counterparts as slobs, yuks, abusers of the resource.....no, that is not the case, at least for the most part.

Having realized the great waterfowl opportunites here in Western Canada, many" flocked" to the western provinces of Manitoba, Sask, Alberta to enjoy the liberal limits and fairly low hunting pressure. All we Canadians are asking is to respect the resource, people and the law of the land. Many of us are only too glade to share with others; but please do not think of this country as free for the taking. If we decide on setting or making changes to OUR rules & regs...then so be it. It is for CANADA to decide.

If you were to respectfully ask alot of people even here on this thread, they would gladly have you as a guest hunter with them. We Canucks have started to enter the phase of THAT"S ENOUGH!!!!!!

Reverse the circumstances if you will. Would you tolerate Canadians comig to your backyard and doing something you thought was not right or unacceptable? I think not.

As for hunting down your way...sounds real interesting. Black ducks eh?

6. sjemac

sjemac Moderator

No hard data but let's look at Manitoba: about 260,000 birds last year and about 5'000 NR hunters. If (and being conservative I'd say) each hunter shot 20 birds total that would be 100,000 birds that went to NR's. Over 1/3 of the harvest. Extrapolate that and take into account that outside of the prairies NR waterfowler numbers are relatively low and you could safely estimate that about 400,000 to 500,000 of the 2.2 million killed in Canada are killed by non residents.

7. Cuppedwings.ca

Cuppedwings.ca Elite Refuge Member

Sjemac,

I am obviously on a fence here as I am canadian and guide americans.... that being said.... Of the americans that I and other outfitters guide each fall, I think 20 birds each is a very conservative estimate. Even hunting in the lowered harvest zone for geese they would average that, and alot also hunt saskatchewan and/or alberta. Most free-lancers also spend alot more than 3 days in the field. I would guess, and this is only an informed guess extrapolated from the hard data combined with personal experience, that 1/2 of the bird kill would be more realistic. I would love to be proven wrong however.

8. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

I think that says it all right there. It's not that we hate NR hunters, it's just getting to the point where all we see is more and more NR hunters coming to Canada to hunt and it's only going to get worse as the hunting opportunities in the states become less and less. We're not just wanting to protect our hunting now, but for the future. We do not want to end up like most states having to compete with a dozen other guys for a spot, or having to pay big dollars in order to hunt in our country.

Most of these NR are all right and follow the rules, then there are the few that break the laws or the letter of the law. These are the ones that we are getting riled up about. We have all met them and we've had just about enough of it.

Lastly it's not JUST the law breakers that we are concerned with. It's the law bidding hunter also. Granted the law bidding NR isn't a problem standing alone and we're happy he can enjoy the hunting up here, but when you add in another xxx,xxx equation, that is the problem, there are just too many and no way to police them effectivley

9. sjemac

sjemac Moderator

In the absence of hard data I was just giving them the benefit of the doubt. I know a lot of hunters in Canada are like my dad used to be, an opening day and Thanksgiving hunter who on average shot about 6 birds a year . The guy spending thousands on a hunt wants to shoot birds (and rightly so) so it would not surprise me if the number of birds per NR hunter is much higher than 20.

10. Fanatic

Fanatic Elite Refuge Member

duckmann for heavens sake, you posted up with what I thought was a good question and I (along with sjemac ) posted up an answer.... I personally have no animosity towards US hunters hunting up here at all... Yes there are a few bad apples but that is a different story... I have had a chance to meet (and tried to help out) many American folks up here hunting and consider them good friends... The truth simply is we have a larger bag limit for the reasons stated between the 2 posts above... Far fewer hunters resulting in far fewer birds bagged up here, thats it thats all....
    the problem with threads like this is it makes it look like US vs Canada and that is a damn shame and it shouldn't be like that, PERIOD !!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.