fresh water trolling motor vs salt

Discussion in 'Fishing Forum' started by bigdrumnc, Jun 10, 2013.

1. bigdrumnc

bigdrumnc Elite Refuge Member

so I am in the market for a trolling motor. I fish exclusively salt water (Pamlico sound NC). Is there a difference(salt water vs fresh water trolling motor)? I am also putting the motor on my secondary boat it will only be used on calm days and I take very good care of my gear. any one using fresh water minn kotas in salt water?

2. Major Woods

Major Woods Elite Refuge Member

I've had my 40lb Minn Kota (fresh water) in use on my duck baot for 10+ years now with no problems to date.
    90% salt water usage and in the water every month of the year.

3. Duck_Slayer

Duck_Slayer Senior Refuge Member

Going off of personal experience, I don?t think you?ll have a problem since it should be sealed. One thing I will caution you on though is if you have a receptacle installed on the front deck where you?ll be plugging the motor in, try to pay attention to whether or not it?s starting to corrode. Keep some anti corrosion grease on the plug prongs so they don?t get rusted (and possibly break off in the receptacle). I learned this the hard way. Other than that, I would just hose it down with fresh water after each trip. You know what they say about an ounce of prevention