Frozen Choke

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by HNH, Jan 22, 2018.

1. HNH

HNH Senior Refuge Member

Well, guess I’ve put off addressing a seized choke tube for long enough. Any recommendations of a gunsmith in the KC area that is familiar with this type of work? This thing is welded in there and after several broken wrenches, guess I’ll see if a pro can have better luck.

2. DEADEYE

DEADEYE Elite Refuge Member

Did you try Kroil or putting it in the freezer.

3. HNH

HNH Senior Refuge Member

PB blaster and heat. I was going to give Kroil a go also and try and find a tool that digs into the inside of the choke. Never heard of freezer, but I’m down. Just wanted to start researching Smith’s to have in my back pocket.

4. Mack Molloy

Mack Molloy Elite Refuge Member

A buddy of mine had the same issue...the gunsmith used heat and actually bent the barrel taking it out.

5. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

I did one by soaking the end in deep creep

6. Dale

Dale Senior Refuge Member

Soak the choke in Pentro 90 or PB blaster. For a couple of days. While it's soaking buy a nipple extractor slightly larger than the choke ID. Grind the extractor down to fit. If you go too far use coarse sand paper as shim material. Go slow and good luck.

HNH likes this.
  7. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

ED Vanderbeck and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  8. Cliner

Cliner Senior Refuge Member

Happened to me and I tried almost all of the ways above minus 10gagenut's suggestion. I took it up to Frontier Justice in Lees Summit and had the guy get it out. Took him a bit but he got it out. It's back to being stuck in there again, so I said forget it, it's a permanent modified now. If you do go to Frontier Justice, just take it up there and talk to him, the dude won't return phone calls.

9. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Been using Birchwood Casey Choke Tube grease for years now, anti seize works just as good but hard to find in this small a tube. Never once had a tube stuck in 20 years of using it.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1014641265/birchwood-casey-choke-tube-lube-3-4-oz

10. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

Just sell the dam thing to some unsuspecting poor soul and start over. I'm completely exhausted with all the steps, tools, techniques and witchcraft required to get a choke tube extracted from a scattergun at this point!!! :)

10GAGENUT likes this.