Ft. Walton/Pensacola

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by Murph, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Murph

Murph New Member

I'm being stationed at Eglin AFB in Feb. 07. What kind of duck hunting should I expect there? I also have a place in Alabama to hunt. If anyone from the area can give me a heads up, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. jadda

jadda Senior Refuge Member

I can't tell you about the duck hunting up there but you are walking into some beautiful country with a really good population of deer and other wildlife. Lots of places to hunt and fish on some really nice public land.
    Enjoy it, but becareful...the Pan Handle has a way of growing on you!:yes :yes

3. wigeonmeister

wigeonmeister Elite Refuge Member

I was stationed at Eglin for 4.5 years from 1996-2000. I was assigned to the 60th Fighter Squadron, 33rd Fighter Wing.

Like the last guy said, the area has a way of growing on you, but it has gotten high as a cat's back to live there. Crestview, which is located approximately 23 miles north of FWB, is one of the fastest growing towns in the country. I don't know if the cities of Niceville, Valparaiso, Mary Esther, or Navarre were ever cheap to live in. They sure weren't when I lived there.

I wouldn't get into the business of trying to hunt ducks there, especially if I had a dog for retrieving. There is a gator population around the area, and the dog would pretty much turn into gator bait. There were alot of folks in the local areas around FWB finding gators swimming in their own swimming pools while I was there.

If it were me, I'd split the difference and buy into a hunting club in either Mississippi or Alabama and hunt there. Mississippi has some good duck hunting in the river delta areas.

4. Murph

Murph New Member

I'll be at the 46th. We are looking at buying a house in Crestview soon after we get there. I don't have a dog to hunt with. I'll be getting a sneak boat. Do the gators cause problems for folks without dogs?

5. Waterfowl fool

Waterfowl fool Elite Refuge Member

Nothing a little turkey shot can't fix anywyas...lol! Welcome to Florida there flyboy....:
    tu

6. N. Cook

N. Cook Senior Refuge Member

I would like to be able to tell you that our group could be of instant help in the area...but like most Florida organizations, the western panhandle is a membership weak spot. However, on Florida hunting tips, on gators, etc....check out: unitedwaterfowlersfl.org

We do have several members out that way, including at least one at Elgin. Obviously, we would like to have more and an active group working " to make duck hunting better in Florida for Florida duck hunters".

That being said, there are small swamps and holes that have ducks, often wood ducks in the landscape, the river bottoms can have some, and the estuaries are potentially good , puddlers in the tidal flats (be careful not to become stranded) and on the open water for divers.

However, the above advice is good....you are very close to some great hunting in LA and South MIss. There also is some in the rivers and estuaries in AL even closer.

Good luck....

7. Murph

Murph New Member

Allright, I joined. I look forward to maybe meeting new hunting partners.

8. MissedAgain

MissedAgain Elite Refuge Member

The panhandle has a lot of redheads, ringers, and scaup. The coast also has buffleheads.

Look to the bigger lakes and the coast for more consistant shooting.

The redheads flock by the thousand so you need to be set up early to decoy some.

Good shootin'!

9. Tally Ho

Tally Ho Senior Refuge Member

I left Tyndall AFB 3 years ago...Panama City, FL...just about 1 hour to the east of Eglin AFB.

I had some good woodduck hunting on Deerpoint Lake near Lynn Haven, Fl and on some slow flowing rivers in the panhandle of florida. Too many gators for me to be completely comfortable....but awful pretty wood duck mounts to show for my time there.

10. nwfl07

nwfl07 Refuge Member

I have hunted on Deer Point Lake quite a bit this year, and yes we do shoot alot of woodducks. This is my first year hunting so I don't know much, but I hunt with a friend who has hunted the lake for several years.We normally come close to limiting out on woodies and shoot quite a few ringnecks as well. I have some property about 20 minutes from the lake that the wood ducks have taken up residence at so we have shot up there a few times also.

I don't know anywhere else to hunt around here other than Deer Point or the Bay. Out in the bay we have redheads, bufflehead, and bluebills. Someone at the boat ramp the other day shot a few bluebills at the lake as well as some gadwall.

Normally, this time of the year we do not see any gators, but during early teal we see quite a few eyes with the q-beam as we are setting up.