Ft. Walton/Pensacola

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by Murph, Dec 28, 2006.

1. nwfl07

nwfl07 Refuge Member

Do you have access to any land? I have 120 acres of my own and a 5000 acre lease. If you get some spare time next hunting season maybe we can get together and kill some does or something during doe week.

2. Murph

Murph New Member

Just on base. A family friend has land 2 hrs north in bama but that will be a once a season thing. We'll definitely have to hunt together.

3. BushquackerfromSDH

BushquackerfromSDH Senior Refuge Member

Many Swamps on Eglin have woodies by the hundreds in December and JAnuary, there are few other ducks inland, the coast holds scuap, ringnecks and redheads and a few others. PAnama City area gets more variety. I live in Crestview, retired Army, I work on Eglin. I'll give you the scoop on Eglin after you settle in, a lot of WMAs nearby too. GATORS eat DOGS! You have to be temperture wise. DU meeting in HOLT coming soon. Turkey season starts in March!!! [​IMG]

4. Murph

Murph New Member

Great! We leave for Florida in the morning. I'm really excited about it. Please keep me updated on events going on.

5. oldfatslow

oldfatslow Refuge Member

Murph,

I'm in Central Florida. I had my first
    run-in with a gator this year. I've been
    hunting for the last 8 years. I have yet
    to hear of a duck hunter being attacked
    by a gator. I blogged my adventure:

http://oldfatslowland.blogspot.com/2006/12/i-saw-satan.html

However, gators do like a free meal. Hitch
    took these awesome pictures of a gator making
    a retrieve on one of his ringers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ofs

6. BushquackerfromSDH

BushquackerfromSDH Senior Refuge Member

Murph, you get here yet???

7. Murph

Murph New Member

I'm here. I need some help finding a fishing spot. Don't have a boat so it needs to be accesible by foot. This place is great.

8. nwfl07

nwfl07 Refuge Member

I went this past saturday and caught two reds, then went bass fishing that afternoon and didn't have much luck. Sunday went to the bridge and threw one of my cast nets a few times and came home with 19 mullet.

9. Murph

Murph New Member

We live on base. I have lots of access to the bay. I've been several times but no luck. I usually wade out about 50 yds and throw a white grub or topwater.

10. nwfl07

nwfl07 Refuge Member

I went again this past sunday and caught one red and 4 speckled trout. Started out throwing topwater, then went to a popping cork and a gulp shrimp on one rod and a gold spoon on another. Didn't fish but for 3 hours and went to the house. The red was too big to keep and I actually ended up keeping one speckled trout along with what few mullet I caught up at the bridge. We go on a boat for red's and specks and there's a nice place on a closed bridge to catch mullet. I went up there this afternoon and saw one bunch of fish and by the time I made up the net they were gone, it was really windy and the water was murky so I left after about an hour.