Full Bodies Vs Silos

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Troller, Jan 20, 2017.

1. stevensinks

stevensinks Senior Refuge Member

I'm 72 and walk in every place I hunt. I have decided to get some coroplast Silos. But I cant decide what to get so all of this info is great. It seems that every ting I have been reading is about the photo decoys. What about black and white's ?

2. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

I have 30 Realgeese silos and every way I try them I cannot decoy geese to them,X or not.Whats some of you guys methods,I try them close together,far apart,just can' get it.Ducks like them.
    I am even thinking about selling mine,anyone want them.

3. Clint

Clint Refuge Member

In my experience and opinion, 30 silos where I hunt wont be seen or drawn much attention. I hunt silos and full bodies together, even use shells and rags occasionally. But I've never hunted 30 silos by themselves, if i ran just silos i wouldnt go with anything less than 5 dozen and that would be a min. I think the idea with silos is the more the better. Also a great way to increase spread size in a compact economical way. I suggest using full bodies in the hole and mix silos and rags on the outside. Sleeper shells only gets used when extremely cold or on pond edges, etc.. But that is just me i'm sure it can be done a number of other ways and has worked other ways for many people, but this seems to do the trick where I hunt, at least for now.

4. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

First Thanks for the info,I have 7dozen Dba which I have added silos to and been successful ,but haunt with straight silos,My buddy has 30 also,I think I will borrow his and try the 5 dozen rig.We don't get a lot of geese hanging around here so big spreads sent used much.I only know of one other guy in Southern Nevada that even comes close to the size spreads we use.Our biggest spread has been 10 dozen,which was quite a feat as we had to pack them in.Now I have more access to drive in so I will increase a little.
    I am trying to talk my partner into getting 4 dozen DSD but he is Very Old School and even though he has the money,he can't see spending it for goose decoys. Thanks again.

5. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

I own Real Geese, Big Al's, and Dive Bombs. The Real Geese are probably the best looking decoy at first but with age they lose alot of their attractiveness IMO. They are also the worst for hard ground cause of the stake. The Big Al's and Dive Bombs are nearly identical except the wider stake on the Dive Bombs goes into hard ground easier. I bought a 1lb dead blow hammer and use it for hard ground hunting.

Billy Bob likes this.
  6. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

The worst thing about Realgeese is that stupid bend because of the stake sending shine at a lot of angles, second is the stakes pull out often and third is that the stakes get weak after a couple years. IMO Divebombs are the way to go.

Mr_Mallard likes this.
  7. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Senior Refuge Member

A buddy of mine stick his dive bombs on sitting ducks so when the ground freezes hes still in the game and you can hunt water as well

8. Daniel Fisher

Daniel Fisher New Member

I have to carry my stuff in, so it's 60 homemade coroplast silos andmaybe two dozen White Rock socks for added motion. The honkers seem to like them.