Full body VS silos or using both together.

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Easterncanadafowler, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Easterncanadafowler

Easterncanadafowler Refuge Member

We hunt high pressure local geese that get shot at a lot.We have 24 Ghg full bodies 27 real geese silos and have ordered 12 avian x painted decoys.

I don't use very many lookers with the silos and usually us one looker for each 6 of the ghg feeders.

Would you guys recommend mixing the silos and fb's together or keeping them seperate.
    I usually us the silos up next to the layouts and the fb's in small family groups feeding around the blinds with lanes in between them for geese to in or out of.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

Never hunted with blonds in the field, might be your problem. :D IMO, if your gonna run a variety of decoy styles (fullbodies, shells, silhouettes,etc) in a field spread, mix them up so one style doesn't stand out over the other in the goose's eye. Only time I'd separate is in snow.

3. Easterncanadafowler

Thanks NEgooseman...Don't tell my wife about the blonds...I mean Blinds..Typo.

4. oatsie

oatsie Senior Refuge Member

I usually mix them together it just makes the spread look more inviting and safe......just the way I hunt um

5. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

Mix

I tend to place full bodies where the geese will be landing and then mix from there. I'll run fb's, silo's and socks in the same spread.

6. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

It doesn't matter if you mix or don't mix. It does matter where you hide. You should get out of the decoys and cross shoot the birds instead of sitting in the decoys. Put 10-15 yards in between you and your closest decoys and cross shoot using the sun at your back as much as possible. Those birds that slide off to the side and circle forever will commit. The shots will be further but you'll get more committing shots.

I also like to run the silhouettes in one mass then spread the fullbodys down wind in small groups with the front of the mass of silhouettes being the start of the pocket. I usually use 50-100 silhouettes but 27 would be enough if you spread them out a little more. In this set up the geese that want to play seem to cup up and commit with very little circling. When I used to run all fullbodys the birds seemed to circle allot more. It seems like the silhouettes almost mesmerize the birds when they're in one big group. The geese will always try to land in the pocket or in the silhouettes.

7. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Senior Refuge Member

We mix our silos in with full-bodies to beef up the spread. The down wind side I run more full bodies.

8. mazenblue

mazenblue Refuge Member

I ran a mixed spread this morning with good results. Ran 6 hard core elite full bodies and 12 big Al silos. A few clucks and a little flagging and they locked up and dropped right in.

9. Easterncanadafowler

I am guilty of using the same U shaped setup most of the time and "trying" to hide the layouts in the bottom of the U and let the geese get in tight and then shoot.
    I am concerned if the geese stop short of my farthest part on my U then they will be out of range.Maybe the will land in the decoys if the blinds wer not there and we were back a ways with the blinds...Hmmmm

10. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

Have tried it all different ways with mixed results. Never will forget the old junk yard massive we would always deploy for the last week of the season. Tires and silos on one side and full bodies on the other side of pit where we thought the geese would finish as they normally do. Geese where most of geese landed in with? Still have no regrets when iI gave all my tire decoys and old silos to a neighbor who had no decoys and was just getting into goose hunting. My back hurts just thinking of the tire decoys.

ArmChair Biologist likes this.