Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Full body Vs. Windsock

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Mallardman92, Feb 10, 2010.

  1. Mallardman92

    Mallardman92 Refuge Member

    Messages:
    51
    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2007
    Location:
    Qulin,MO
    I know this has came up a lot but where i come from there are a ton of ditch crawlers and heck some times they dont even get out of the truck which makes the geese very wary. Which leads me to my question would it be better to have say 10 dozen fullbodys and Tnt shells or the more economy silosocks and northwinds? Does the realistic appearance finish more geese or does the movement of the sillosocks and northwind decoys help finish geese? Any help is appreciated, heck im using rags this year, really thinking about upgrading before next spring!!!

    thanks
    mallardman
     
  2. duck_killer00

    duck_killer00 Senior Refuge Member

    Messages:
    905
    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2001
    Location:
    ILLINOIS
    Yes full bodies are better in my opinion. But i will not down on high quality windsocks. They do the job almost as good. texas rags though no way
     
  3. orangefoot

    orangefoot Senior Refuge Member

    Messages:
    120
    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2009
    Location:
    West Monroe, Louisiana
    Two of my buddies learned a lesson the hard way after spending thousands of dollars on a full body spread hoping they would smash the geese like everyone said . . . it didnt happen .. big mistake. 500 sillosock or deadly's will do the same thing that 500 full bodies will do. Your just going to spend way more money and spend way more time putting all of them out.
     
  4. Dkcaller14

    Dkcaller14 Senior Refuge Member

    Messages:
    179
    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2008
    Location:
    KCMO
    I think that most important part is being on the X cause that would make things a heck of a lot easier. Last year we ran a spread that was about 60% northwinds and the other 40% were fullbodies around the opening. This worked out very well because we had the numbers with the northwinds, but the realism where it mattered.

    I know many people say that mixing and matching different decoys doesn't always work, but we had good luck with this set up.
     
  5. Josh Michaelis

    Josh Michaelis Elite Refuge Member

    Messages:
    7,169
    Joined:
    May 3, 2007
    Location:
    Princeton MO
    Fullbodies.........there is no comparison.
     
  6. shooteminthelipss

    shooteminthelipss Senior Refuge Member

    Messages:
    291
    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2007
    Location:
    North Dakota
    I am going to see first hand this year. Last 5 years we have ran 1500 sillo socks and deadlys. This year we will be running 600 Full Body Averys. Give it a spring and fall. And let you know in November!
     
  7. goose_caller

    goose_caller Elite Refuge Member

    Messages:
    8,667
    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2002
    Location:
    Yankee Country
    There is no right answer depending on the situation....some situations full bodies will probably put more geese closer. But I would like to see someone come set-up with there 40 dozen full bodies in a refuge situation like Squaw a mile away from someone with equal $ amount of say Sillosocks.....I can just about promise you the guys with 480 fulls would get to watch the guys with 1800 silosocks shoot a bunch of geese.

    If money was no object I would obviously have 150 dozen fullbodies.....but since that is not the case for me I will take 4x the decoys for the same price.

    I guess if you are ALWAYS going to be on the X I would take 400-500 fullbodies, but if you need to play in traffic I think that same money could be better spent getting a larger spread.

    Just my 2 cents.....and yes I have hunted over large spreads of 1000+ fullbodies many times in the past.
     
  8. BoB_25

    BoB_25 Senior Refuge Member

    Messages:
    445
    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2009
    Location:
    NE
    IMO this is the best answer to the question.
     
  9. Beard

    Beard Senior Refuge Member

    Messages:
    157
    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2006
    Location:
    H20's wooduck House, MN
     
  10. Ilbucksndux

    Ilbucksndux Elite Refuge Member

    Messages:
    4,471
    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2003
    Location:
    Murphysboro IL
    I have hunted over 1000 full bodies and to be honest with you I think 1000 Silosocks gives you movement that the full bodies don't.
     

Share This Page