Full choke for ducks and geese

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Sunklands, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Sunklands

Sunklands Senior Refuge Member

wondering who all shoots full choke for ducks and geese, reguardless of gauge? I shoot a full choke (terror) in my gold 10, shoot an improved modified (Carlson thin wall) out of my Auto 5, 12 gauge. I have an Auto 5 mag 20 gauge with a Carlson full choke and it seems to pattern 3's and 4's very well. I'd like to use it this year with some Kent ammo. Buying a modified of light modified is not a problem, cause they're only about $18. Over the years I've tended to shoot an improved modified or full for most everything but, it seems that very few on the forums do, for ducks.

2. stephen brown

stephen brown Senior Refuge Member

Only when conditions or circumstances dictate a full choke.

3. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

.720TT from my gold 10 for geese. Factory IC or mod for ducks.

4. Sunklands

I too shoot the .720 terror in my gold 10 and it's by far and away the best 10 gauge steel shot choke I've owned. This year I'm going to duck hunt more with the 20 gauge using 3's or 4's from Kent and was wondering if using a tighter (full or IM) choke would increase its killing effectiveness and possibly range, verses an IC or modified?

5. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Only YOU would know how well that tight of choke shoots in you gun , it's not normally the best in most other guns tho !
    Patterning a choke /shell combo is not scientific but does give a Fella the knowledge of what to expect when he touches the trigger . The distance you choose
    to pattern (somewhat) dictates the pellet size or the proper size shot for the game you're pursuing . Make no mistake about it , the constriction of what choke
    you have in your gun determines success ,IF, your shooting ability is up to par ! I know how far 470 grs of 3's will kill out of a LM extended choke , if you are
    shooting farther than that , your Full choke could be throwing a wider pattern related to the Pinging effect ?

6. duckman54

duckman54 Senior Refuge Member

I shoot a .720 in my gold 10 also and it is a great choke. A few years ago I got a Sx3 20 gauge and shortly after ordered
    a Terror .615 for it. I ordered several cases of Kent 7/8 at 1550 in 3's and 4's but find myself usually grabbing the 3's most of the time. I never take the terror choke out unless I'm dove hunting with it and then use the imp cyl.

The terror and kent's have been a great combo for me duck hunting.

7. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

With smaller bore guns sometimes an I/C or Modified will work better than a full choke, you get overchoke many times with a small bore gun and full chokes. With my 16 gauge guns and 3's I get the best patterns with a modified/ light modified, pattern your gun with the choke you decide on.

8. Seaark18

Seaark18 Senior Refuge Member

My brother and both shoot either Carlson’s Extended Long Range, which is basically a Full, or Terror chokes. So do a few of my buddies. We do mostly hunt big water though...

9. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

By simply patterning your choke / pellet choice at the average distance you shoot the majority of your birds ( say at 35 yds , then 25 to 45 you should be good ) .
    Pattern density drops off really fast after 45 yds so depending on the size of bird you're shooting at , a larger pellet size would be in order along with more
    constriction . With the average decoying bird being shot at inside 30 yds , a Mod choke is giving you a 22" core pattern and that's , too tight , if , you
    enjoy eating your birds ?

10. Sunklands

For shooting 20 gauge, 3" #3's, which would be the best choke?Carlson Tru Choke flush mount, IC, LM, or M. I could by all 3 for around $60 but, I'd rather use yalls experience and just buy 1.