Full choke for ducks and geese

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Sunklands, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Sunklands

Sunklands Senior Refuge Member

A .615 seems like a very open choke for a 20 gauge Terror. I think .615 is nearly "skeet" bore.

2. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

This is what Browning has for choke constrictions
    chokespec[1].jpg

3. Sunklands

According to Browning, the inventor is cylinder bore. If Terror make a choke that open for 20 gauge, then I'm assuming it's to accommodate very large shot and decrease shot string.

4. 10GAGENUT

This my sales sheet when I was selling the tubes for Jeff years ago, there was no .615 unless it was custom made
    SRM sheet.jpg

5. Sunklands

Thanks for the back up joe.

6. duckman54

duckman54 Senior Refuge Member

The Terror .615 for the 20ga (which apparently they no longer make) is not a open choke. I got the choke in 2013 and
    when I spoke with the sales lady she gave me the number of the factory to call to get more info on the restriction of it.
    They had two chokes, the .595 and the .615 for the 20ga. The info they gave me was the .595 was like extra full
    and the .615 was imp mod.

On the pattern board the Kent 3inch #3's at 1550 gave 125/135 at 30 yds for 93%, at 40 yds 110/135 for 81%.

7. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Use mostly factory IC 3" #3 steel on ducks within forty yards on my Benelli Supernova or BPS 12 ga....use factory full on turkeys here, most of those shot within thirty yards so too much constriction can be a liability.

8. 10GAGENUT

They never had a sales lady at Surecycle, you called up and got Jeff or one of the other guys.
    Did you buy it from Wad Wizard or SRM????

9. Sunklands

If you can, could you post a pic of that .615 Terror? I don't see how a .595 could be considered xfull, but more like modified. Sounds like you have a WW that is also sold by the same folks who sell the Terror. If it has stripper studs in the choke, then it's a PM/WW style choke.

10. duckman54

duckman54 Senior Refuge Member

If my memory serves me correct, and it has been 4 years ago their website right now (Wad Wizard) looks to be the
    same or close to it as it was when I ordered. Only difference is they show no 20ga terror chokes. I guess it was Wad Wizard site I called and it was a lady who pretty much read to me what the description on the internet said when I asked her about the choke.

All I wanted to know was if it was mod, imp mod, full or what. She said let me give you the number to the factory and
    you can ask them. I can't remember if it was Jeff or not that I spoke with, but I can tell you this is a Terror choke.

Before I ordered it I had read on every possible hunting site I could think of about these Terror chokes for the 20 ga.
    The positive reviews from all these google searches is why I decided on the .615 TERROR.

I'll try to get a pic for you Sunklands.