Full choke for ducks and geese

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Sunklands, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Sunklands

Sunklands Senior Refuge Member

Have you tested any 7/8 loads at 1500-1550, in 2's, 3's or 4's?

2. Joe Hunter

Joe Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Only Kent Fasteel in #4.

Pattern numbers from a 20-gauge Browning Citori with 28" Invector-plus barrels and Briley flush chokes (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

20 GA 3" Kent Fasteel
    7/8 oz #4 steel (168 pellets) @ 1550 fps
    40 YARDS -- IM / pattern 107 (64%)

Hope this helps.

PS: quoted the wrong #s so made an edit.

3. Sunklands

Your gun and choke seems to like the 1oz loads much better. Many folks on here recommend the Kent 7/8oz 3's and I'm not sure if Kent offers a 1oz load in their Fasteel.

4. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Those Kents 7/8 oz of #3's are a "Danny Load" out to 40 yds with a IC / MOD in my Invector Plus 20 ga .
    A IM choke or tighter causes a hour-Glass effect to my patterns with shot any larger ( tight full pattern at 30-32 yds and way to open at 40 yds) .
    I do use Briley extended Chokes in this White Lightning 28" 20 ga .

5. bubba682

bubba682 Refuge Member

I went back to the factory full in my 10 ga gold i found i wasn't gettiin the results you guys were from the terror or briley im.The patterns were terrible after 40 yds it looked to me like they were blown apart .Now that i switched back i'm takin more birds with the same reloads so maybe i was overchoked.

6. Sunklands

Was your Terror a .720? What shot sizes were you commonly shooting?

7. bubba682

bubba682 Refuge Member

.720 and a briley im most reloads were bbb either rsi 99/100 and a bp load with the tps wad i did try duplexing f over bbb i was better off thrown rocks after 40 yds with that reload lol.I could not duplicate the success % guys on here were claiming so i tried the factory choke and this year i got more in the freezer now than all of last season.I havnt pattered the factory choke and im not cause im hittin with it.I think i was over choke and the barrel did not like it and it was blowing patterns.So like somebody once said test your factory chokes first....

8. Sunklands

Sounds like you got it lined out. It's hard to understand why some folks Gold 10's, don't or won't pattern loads from the .720 Terror. Is it in the barrel, the barrel length, or entirely the load?

9. bubba682

bubba682 Refuge Member

I dont know but alot of guys up here use the gold ten with factory mod and full and have alot of success in my area about 15/20 guys are usin the gold 10 or bps 10.I was the only one experimenting with after market chokes i patterned all of them from 40/60 yds and ran each reload thru a chrony and like i said the % weren't there,.

10. AIRBORNE6869

AIRBORNE6869 New Member

I will add my 2 pennies worth. I have attempted to get a really good pattern out of my Gold 10 with the Terror .705. Nothing I have tried to date is worth a warmed over poo! I get pretty good patterns out of a .740 in fact much much better than the .705. I have a Terror .720 on order, should be here on Fri. I have great hopes for the .720!

AIRBORNE