Fully flocked debate .

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by isu22andy, Feb 11, 2018.

1. isu22andy

isu22andy Refuge Member

Question ive been pondering .

From the little waterfowl experience I have I've understood that snow geese are some of the hardest and weariest birds to succesfully decoy because the sheer numbers it takes, the sheer number of spreads theyve seen on the their journey. Some are ten year olds - Correct ?

Why is it that snow goose hunters run large spreads of plastic white shiney decoys and cheap socks and kill geese but most canada geese hunters claimed if they're not fully flocked they'll shine and flare birds. How "Worth it" is flocked or is it all in your head. Discuss

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

'Most' goose hunters don't claim that.

3. isu22andy

isu22andy Refuge Member

I probably should of worded that a little different, Id say 20 percent maybe. Not saying its bad or bagging on guys that hunt fully flocked decoys. I get why people use them. I dont own any goose decoys period so I have no say in the discussion- well other than some snows with a group. Just curious what others think .

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Hey, I shoot ducks over flocked decoys. I happen to like them. But I don't claim I can't kill ducks over regular dekes. I just like looking at them.
    Hunters believe what they want. Doesn't make it true, either way.

Waterfowl hunting is 50% being in the right spot. 30% being properly hidden. All the rest is the last 20%

5. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

comparing a snow goose spread - couple hundred full bodies and 1000 plus socks, flyers and do hickies to a honker spread that most times is 6 dozen or less is apples and oranges and many run 12 to 24 decoys so realism is at a premium as only a few decoys versus a blob of white. I tried flock decoys, for permanent spread not a good thing, end of that experiment.

6. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

I like My Canada decoys fully flocked because I believe they look better and especially if their is frost.It gives me more confidence in my spread and I think confidence in your equipment is Very important.
    I have Bass lures that I rarely touch and have some that I have confidence will catch me fish,that go on almost every time I am in the boat.

Ringbill likes this.
  7. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

Honestly, what gear are you using that is truly “Worth it” at today’s prices? Good decoys have always been expensive, but today’s prices for stuff made in China is nuts.

While the number of waterfowl hunters has declined, the number of companies selling gear have increased because it is so profitable.

brentbullets likes this.
  8. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

The only reason I own fully flocked canada decoys is for early season hunts when there is a lot of dew in the mornings.

ArmChair Biologist likes this.
  9. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Flocked decoys certainly look better for the most part, but unless you have a specific need for them...such as early season hunts and fighting dew...they are totally unnecessary. There's a heck of a lot of geese killed over 2 dimensional silhouettes, and a lot of ducks killed over all black floaters. Bottom line is hunt with what you think will work best.

wtrfwlr43 and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  10. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

I never knew anyone used flocked decoys for "realism" purposes until I came to this forum. The only reason I ever used flocked decoys was because of dew in the September season.