Fully flocked debate .

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by isu22andy, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Didn't Dakota do a 1 year run of FFD snow goose decoys? I can't imagine how nasty those things would look at the end of a spring if they were treated like any other full body spread.

2. murdock255

murdock255 Senior Refuge Member

I hunt a lot over Fully Flocked Decoys, but also hunt over unflocked, permanent spreads. IMO, the flocked look better to me, but in terms of birds harvested, I don't think there is a huge difference between the flocked and unflocked.

Also, flocked snow goose decoys sound like a nightmare waiting to happen!

3. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

I run two duck rigs for puddle ducks :
    • 180 floaters of all sorts with a bunch of flappies and squirters.
    • 16 fully flocked mallards and black ducks and a jerk cord
    Had banner days and busts over both of them. I use one on a large body of water and another on a small tidal creek. I baby the FFDs and they still get dirty. Both rigs match what we see in the area.

The FFDs make a difference in the small setting as mush as the blind and calling.

4. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

Concealment, Camoflage and Calling. When I was 13 years old I only had 3 derelict wooden decoys that an old hunter gave me, I still killed ducks.

Ringbill and goosenazi like this.
  5. lockingblock

lockingblock New Member

Every tool a man has, is in competition for his time. In gunfighting world, there is a wisdom that basically says focus on your most likely solutions to your most likely problems. Don't spend huge energy and time on secondary or tertiary systems. IE carry a glock 9mm backup gun vs a high end 1911 that requires tons of maintenance for a marginal gain in performance on a secondary system that you likely won't need. You have finite money, time, and energy. Focus it where it is likely to do the most good. How is your shooting? Been to the range? Patterned your actual loads? Shot 500 rounds or so on the trap field? If no...you are not putting the work into your shooting. How is your calling? Same thing... How is your boat and motor? You have to get there before you can hunt... How is your habitat and water?

A basic quality spread of decoys will generally get you there....if you put the work in.

Ringbill, Tuleman and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  6. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I omitted the "camouflage" because it's redundant to "concealment", and added "location" because that's the FIRST thing that must be in place before you can kill a duck.

While it's impossible to directly compare the effectiveness of FF decoys to non-flocked decoys, if I ever felt my decoys (which are the most realistic non-flocked decoys I can buy) were not doing the job, I'd not hesitate to try FF decoys instead. So far, I haven't ever felt that FF have been necessary.

7. northern

northern Elite Refuge Member

I only hunt with fully flocked decoys. I used to set out 12 dozen goose decoys, now I went to Fully flocked decoys and only put out 2 dozen. get just as many if not more with them. On a blue bird day you need to have fully flocked decoys. I got tierd of having birds come in to only flair off with the non flocked decoys on blue bird days. with fully flocked decoys they dropright in and it takes a lot less. Good quality is the best. Keep them clean .

Ringbill likes this.
  8. northern

northern Elite Refuge Member

Put out a dozen FFD and a dozen non FFD and see were the birds land.

9. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

No offense intended, but Dave Smith decoys aren't flocked and I don't see people talking about birds flaring off of them.

10. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

I have good luck with using the decoys I have made. No, they aren’t as good as the fully flocked decoys my Grandson has but they work well. The reason is because they are different than what ducks are used to seeing. I am an antique decoy collector and have taken 18 of my old decoys, all by different makers and some in mint condition and some with worn original paint. I do this every first week of the season and they work as good as anything, I’m old I guess and feeble minded.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018