Decoy Forum Sponsors

Fully flocked debate .

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by isu22andy, Feb 11, 2018.

1. murdock255

murdock255 Senior Refuge Member

Gene, I wonder if their production/painting method makes a difference on shine, DSDs I've sheen never have a glare

2. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

So what about decoys that have only the heads flocked? Are the 25% better than non-flocked decoys?

When hunters pick up decoys they generally grab the head. Doing so bare handed deposits skin oils of the head and defeats the effect of dull paint. So I suppose that could be an argument for flocked heads, but generally it is just a marketing gimmick.

What about FFDs in failing wet snow? I can’t think of anything worse.

brentbullets likes this.
  3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Yea, cuz snow doesn't stick to geese. :doh
    upload_2018-2-14_16-42-32.jpeg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

At least those you don’t pick up and put them in a trailer where snow stays frozen on them til spring.

5. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

I believe so. I use Ronan paint on my decoys and there isn't a flatter drying paint on the planet. Hit that will a light coat of clear flat and the paint is sealed/protected and still doesn't shine, so there are ways to paint a good, flat decoy. Could boil down to the confidence level in your particular decoy to...I have no idea. I just know I've used both flocked, and non-flocked decoys extensively, and I have seen zilch for difference in the way the birds react. Maybe it's just where I set up, or how, or some other reason. I know flocked birds are a bigger pain in the azz to take care of, and since I didn't see enough difference to warrant the extra care I went back to straight paint. In the end I suppose it doesn't make much difference.

brentbullets likes this.
  6. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

In speck decoys trend seems to be going back to paint versus FFD.

7. Cocklebur

Cocklebur Senior Refuge Member

Personally, flocking is more of an appeal to the hunter than what the birds really care about. I understand it presents a more natural paint scheme and reduces shine however if ducks and geese are close enough to notice a little shine they should be dead. Flocking can't hurt, but the effort to keep them looking good and the cost difference from manufacturers are deal breakers for me.

brentbullets likes this.
  8. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

Fully flocked decoys are a gimick...I don't pack my full bodies out in the field anymore. I kill plenty of honkers over 11 747s and 24 standard shells. Lots of times the geese will fly past full body spreads to get to me.

Then again it could be location too.

9. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

I been reading this and i just think .that in the area and climate i hunt i think flocking helps in the bright sun.

Ringbill likes this.
  10. cnegeese801

cnegeese801 Senior Refuge Member

The new dsd decoys with heavy texture is the next best thing in my opinion, there is not a flat spot on the decoy for the sun to glair off of. They are painted in multi coats of different colors and color changes from which angle u look at it. I tried to get pics of getting shine off the backs and Nope just did not happen. If u have seen them in person u know what the heavy texture is and looks like. Also with heavy text scratching and scuffs seem to be smaller since only high points in texture has paint rubbed off but the low spot on texture still has color. I love them do u got to have them no but my decoys are much better then yours! Lol

Ringbill likes this.