Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

fun hunt in the snow today

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by fowlwhacker, Jan 7, 2017.

1. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

IMG_20170107_122408_904.jpg
    had my youngest daughter and a couple of her friends out this morning. i always enjoy getting the youths out and seeing how excited they get not to mention the energy they have putting out decoys and picking them up. the geese really didn't fly all that great but we were grateful with the slow and steady action.

Attached Files:

Harp, Keith McGowan and BrianC like this.
  2. gooserslucer

gooserslucer Senior Refuge Member

Nice!

3. Grey Goose

Grey Goose Senior Refuge Member

Looking at all the smiles, I think you made some youngsters pretty happy.

4. Rich5294p

Rich5294p Refuge Member

Looks like a good time for all

5. pat williams

pat williams Senior Refuge Member

looks like a great day for all

6. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

It doesn't get much better than that!

7. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

it was all smiles and happy times for most of the hunt. I often spoil the kids and well sometimes myself and bring a heater or two out to the pit to keep warm especially when it gets really cold. I had told my daughter with the weather/snow I wasn't going to tow the trailer and ATV so we would only bring one small heater and would need to slep it out to the pit along with some extra propane bottles.

As I always do with the youths, I take the time first thing in the morning to talk gun safety asking that they keep their guns on safety until they are ready to shoot, tell the importance to not shoot over top of anyone's head and emphasis that no bird is worth someone getting hurt. Sometimes I hear the safety's clicking off when birds seem like they are going to finish prior to the shot so I always ask if the birds don't finish who clicked off and ask that they put their guns back on safety and make sure they guns are securely leaned up against a 2x4. so gun safety wasn't a problem this day. I had warned them about the heater when I turned it on and for good sake I told them about several stories of folks burning their jackets or catching them on fire thinking they would tune into me a bit more rather than the advice going in one ear and out the other.

Well mid way through hunt, I am perched on a swivel stool peering out for silent geese to drop in when I hear a bunch of commotion in the pit. First I just thought the teenyboppers were just cutting up as they do and then realized something was up. My daughter had sat to close to the heater and she felt a strong warmth against her backside. Sure enough before she realized what was going on, her new one month old drake jacket had burned through the shell. It was a good thing I didn't bring the big double burner Mr. Heater that hooks up to a 20lb bottle or it prolly would've been much worse.

She had saved up and decided to buy it herself in early December not knowing we were going to get her it for Christmas. She was so upset with herself. I told her we could repair it with some camo duct tape inside and a good smearing of aquaseal on the outside and it would be almost as good as new.

so I told her now she will be added to the list of dilbert hunting bloopers. I told her she still doesn't rank in fowl hunting fire stories as my friends father stayed behind at lunch one year as he had a full lunch with him. He finishes his lunch and decides to smoke a nice cigar. halfway through he said he started to feel light headed and a bit sick to his stomach so he flung it out of the pit into a dry corn field. He kept smelling a smoldering smell as he sat below and thought to himself that he should've butted it out but just thought it was slightly smoldering. It wasn't until the other guys returned from lunch and noticed the corn field and decoys were burning and ran out screaming. when he popped up out of the pit, he saw the corn field around the pit black and burning.

these yutes are really good with the calling too. I am amazed to hear how good they quickly have mastered the short reeds. I didn't even pull my calls out of the bag and let them have at it but asked that they not over do it when any birds were close and locked up.