Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

funny thing ,these new snow goose guides.....

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by joecitrano, Feb 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

From FWS - "Rallying. You cannot hunt waterfowl that have been concentrated, driven, rallied, or stirred up with a motorized vehicle or sailboat."

2. muskrat25

muskrat25 Elite Refuge Member

If the land is posted and the farmer did not give permission, then it is criminal trespassing and possibly "hunting on private property without permission".

If the farmer is leasing to you to hunt and giving someone else permission to rally them for hunting purposes, you need to talk to your farmer. This is probably more of a problem when the landowner and farmer are two different people.

Crop insurance- as noted, costs money and does not reimburse full percentage, plus there is a readjustment yearly- I'm sure someone can describe it better, but basically if my baseline is 10,000 bushels of corn from a field, but deer and raccoons and turkeys reduce it to 8,000, I'll get some of that 20% reimbursed, but next year, my baseline will be 8,000 bushels, so crop insurance will only kick in below that- I only harvest 6,000 bushels I get a check, but now my baseline is 6,000....... no insurance is ever going to get me back to 10,000! That's probably simplistic but that is how I've heard farmers explain it.

I am the first to grumble (quietly) when I have been on the short end of an ag decision on a lease- but bottomline its their living, and my recreation. If it gets too bad, you move on.

As far as the definition of rallying, one thing to remember is that law has been on the books for a long time- long before there was winter wheat growing in every field. (Even before there were radishes in every field!) At that time there wouldn't have been much motivation to chase geese out of a field full of waste grain, so the farmer thing probably didn't occur to anyone.

And it also makes sense about the mechanized craft vs. manual distinction for rallying- first off, if jumping birds off the pond or out of a field when you walked to your blind was illegal, then you'd half to quit half your hunts before you started!

Picture this, a raft of canvasbacks is sitting 200 yards off of your blind. If you get in a row boat and row straight out to them, they'll probably take off and fly away- maybe a group would give your buddies in the blind a look with you bobbing around out there, but not a high percentage situation. But if you fire up the outboard and take a nice long loop out and around and then come blazing in, you can probably push them right towards the blind (then just hope your buddies don't get too excited and pepper you with shot.)

So, it is legal to send the dog out, or go walk them out, or paddle them out, as long as you are on your property or on public waters. Is it ethical? That's more of a personal decision. I had a place once where we would never shoot into a flock of more than about a dozen. If 200 landed, we let them land and then sent a dog out to chase them out, so they were relatively undisturbed and relatively uneducated. I can't imagine anyone (other than on the Refuge) would have a problem with that scenario.

Running out the 500 live decoys on the other side of your field that are pulling every single away from your spread? I guess legally it's a personal decision.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  3. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

Really? I find Resident Geese very easy to kill in the Resident season. They are creatures of habit. They go to the same spot at the same time every day until something moves them from that spot. The only hard part is actually finding those fields and getting on them. They react to calling exactly the same as AP geese, just require a slightly deeper tuned call.

Snows, yes they are hard to hunt. People shooting and running them out of fields, extremely large groups, skybusters, ect make them a lot more skittish, but I can tell you this, they aren't any smarter than Canadas. A group of Canadas doesn't let you stop 10 yards from them on the road without flying away, snows don't even care. Snows are just harder to hunt because of their natural tendencies.

4. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

Maybe, but I can't recall calling snows into many places without a sow goose decoy out. Canada's, I've killed a fair number without a single Canada decoy out, and with out any decoys whatsoever out..

I think snows are a bit warier and a lot more discriminate than a Canada. Your crap has to be right, or you are completely screwed.

But trying to convince someone like you, you already knows it all, and has a thousand years experience of this is futile.

Just stick to your Canada's, your ego relies on it!

5. Trevor Shannahan

Screw geese, I'd rather duck and turkey hunt. Is it April yet????

But seriously, how many snows do you really call in anyways? Heck I know a bunch of outfitters who run their ecallers even when hunting the regular season, its such a small fine that its not really worth it to them not to do it.

They are the same as residents, you need to be where they want to be or very very close. The only skill involved is scouting/permission getting.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  6. straitmeat72

straitmeat72 Elite Refuge Member

against my better judgment I will bite oh great one, how many resident geese have you killed here on the easternshore trevor? if all it takes is a deeper tuned goose call and they hit the same spot day in and day out I must be doing something wrong, teach me how to pizz excellence like you do daily :z:rolleyes:

7. jcjc1401

jcjc1401 New Member

I think yellow perch are biting still..................

8. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

I don't hunt the shore for Canada's but the resident Canada's I chase can be a real PITA!!! Part of them being familiar with an area is they know when something's wrong. they are almost impossible to traffic.

9. straitmeat72

straitmeat72 Elite Refuge Member

agreed. we do very well on them locally, but they are by far tougher to kill here then migratory birds. they don't have to feed, they see the same fields irrigation pivots, clumps of grass, etc every day. but then again I clearly just am not up to par with the goose killing experts that drive Toyota corollas

10. Trevor Shannahan

Plenty when I have open fields that they are using. Like I said its about being where they want to be. We don't kill limits every time out(tough to do with an 8 bird limit and few resident birds to work with), but we have done very well and never have been skunked (knock on wood) yet on the Shore. Generally get 4-5 good hunts in.

Where did I say I only hunted residents on the Shore though? I have hunted residents with good success in 4 different states. The major difference is scouting and hiding are more important and calling is less important. Small spreads (12-24) spread wide work better too, although I use small rigs during regular season, most often they aren't that small.

It's not that I think that I **** excellence, but I have done this stuff for a living for years, all across the country. I have picked up so many different ways of hunting from hunting a lot of different places with a lot of different people that it makes adapting very easy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.