Fur you wear

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by sdkidaho, Dec 27, 2017.

1. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

upload_2018-1-1_17-0-35.png
    The full fur beaver hat from that site is good looking. I think I like that better than the sheared fur.

This place has cool looking hats as well:
    Wolverine:
    [​IMG]
    Wolf:
    [​IMG]
    Silver Fox and Black Beaver:
    [​IMG]
    Silver Fox
    [​IMG]

2. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

If you want to buy tanned furs or any type of garment fur check out http://www.glacierwear.com/

Some great gift ideas. They have everything from cow hide rugs to reindeer hides. Their fur products are more geared to the people who may harvest them.

upload_2018-1-1_21-59-40.png

3. Vandy Grift

Vandy Grift Refuge Member

Even if you got them tanned and sold them you would probably do much better than selling them to a fur buyer. Shame how low fur prices are anymore.

4. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

I never trapped so really don't know about fur prices. What caused the drop in prices...animal rights folks throwing paint on people wearing fur clothing?

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

6. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

http://www.nutria.com/site8.php
    This has a pretty good summary...
    While this specifically relates to nutria other prices followed suit.
    Exchange rates also played a role. Prices have never really recovered.

7. Vandy Grift

Vandy Grift Refuge Member

Nowadays most of the value is in some sort of secondary market. A nice tanned and hooped beaver like the one in hobbydogs pic can bring $150-200+ depending on size and how well it's displayed. Same with other furs. I've seen people selling little hooped muskrats for 40-50 bucks. Wall hangings, throws, pillows, certain garments, etc are still nice decorations but they're are something of a specialty item.

Beaver castor and skunk essence can still bring a decent dollar, especially as fewer people trap fur. But even paying for your gas money to run a trap line is near impossible these days. To prep and set traps, check them regularly, skin and put up fur, store fur, etc etc, for 6 bucks for a mink, 5 bucks for a coon, 10 bucks for a fox...It's just not worth it for most people.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  8. BADLARRY250

BADLARRY250 Senior Refuge Member

I love fur , its the best. I may be a little biased growing up working on a mink farm but it really is warm and looks cool. I also recently got into trapping which right now doesn't really pay the bills, but is a rush when you go check your traps and see that you've gotten something. It also helps control the spread of disease.

Attached Files:

Vandy Grift likes this.
  9. BADLARRY250

BADLARRY250 Senior Refuge Member

A cool website to check out is www.wildthingsfur.com . They are out of Wisconsin and make all sorts for hats, blankets, mittens, and bikinis lol. You can send your own fur to them and they will pretty much make whatever you want out of your fur. Not a bad price on stuff either

10. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager