Future of the 107 Special Sea Duck Season?

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by Pitboss, Aug 6, 2014.

1. TonyH

TonyH Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

George when sea ducking we are trophy hunting and having a good time. Drakes only if possible and Honestly there is no reason to shoot hen sea ducks. Way to many to choose from. On this particular hunt I bet we had over 50 flocks of 10 plus in the decoys at 20-25yds to pick from. The more drakes down the easier it is to find a mounter.:tu

2. Chen_caerulescens

Chen_caerulescens Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

You definitely bring up some good points, comparing sea ducks to puddle ducks is somewhat of an apples/oranges situation. I am guessing we still have some pretty big holes in our understanding of most sea duck species. From my days of marching over the tundra looking for scoter and Oldsquaw nests it seemed that some of the sea ducks breed at low densities over very vast areas. From what has been explained to me that current spring surveys are not designed for sea ducks in general?

What are your thoughts on how we can get a better understanding of sea ducks?

3. pointblind

pointblind Elite Refuge Member

All I'm trying to convey is too many people think we solely control waterfowl populations with the barrel of our guns which is definitely NOT the case.

4. pointblind

pointblind Elite Refuge Member

I don't think so. Those numbers mirror perfectly with the numbers listed per states in the harvest summary. The chart I posted is for total sea ducks harvested in state WITH a special season, not just exclusively during the special season. In many states the sea duck season starts before the regular season and then runs after. How would they possibly separate the two?

Here is Maryland from last year for an example...

Harvest summary...
    http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/N...r the 2012-13 and 2013-14 Hunting Seasons.pdf

And yes I fully understand the rest of your post. I was just throwing numbers out there to demonstrate how few sea ducks are shot in the US. Again, all I'm trying to convey is too many people think we can solely control waterfowl populations with the barrel of our guns.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  5. ntropy

ntropy Elite Refuge Member

Ok, then look in your table and then the report and compare the number of long-tailed ducks shoot in Wisconsin for example.

There are waterfowl species that can be over harvested in certain times and places. The underlying biology of the species differs some much its impossible to make such sweeping statements. Without having some idea of the survival rate and harvest rate you really can't make that statement.

6. cans rule

cans rule Senior Refuge Member

If public land would be public land, the sea ducks wouldn't take such a beating...we could see this coming years ago...more people.less blind sites.let go shoot scoters. Can't believe how much huntable area is off limits on blind draw day, in Maryland at least.

7. 733SubDucker

733SubDucker Elite Refuge Member

Here in Maine the talk is all about the missing Eider.

Our state may need to get in front of this with further moderate Eider restrictions and / or season reductions, before more harsh Fed restrictions come into play.

Some of the most hardcore of sea duck hunters are becoming very discouraged. Some are selling their rigs! If it weren't for being able to head into the bays and shoot Goldeneye, it would be terrible. One other saving grace has been good numbers of Old Squaw. Some that are sticking it out have started using layout for Old Squaw with good success.

Change is most certainly coming.

8. TonyH

TonyH Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I personally dont think the birds are being hurt population wise, what I think is hunting pressure is pushing them offshore and miles away from the normal wintering areas in which they are use to being and counted. Hunting pressure will do that and it only gets worse each and every year. Sea Ducks are a HUGE business now days trust me from a guy in Ohio. Anytime you have a duck that can be an almost certain limit and box or 2 of shells being shot guides will book solid day in and day out and ussually bad weather is all that can prevent this from happening. In the past 10 years Sea Duck hunting has exploded just like layout hunting. Plain and simple and why? because it works and provides results. simple as that.

9. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

I vote leave the season and limits the same, outlaw the use of motorized boats to transport hunters.

10. joecitrano

joecitrano Senior Refuge Member

Been sea ducking here for about 15-20 yrs. I don't have a problem with a reduced season.ive watched my numbers plummet drastically.1st they shut down the few clammers working the bottom 2nd a guide shows up n runs tons of parties makes tv shows,videos n YouTube clips showin every knucklehead on earth exactly what n where he's doin it and....now its cool? Put a hurtin on Brant hunting all the same.dont poop where you eat! Cuz its a round world.