Future of the 107 Special Sea Duck Season?

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by Pitboss, Aug 6, 2014.

1. saltdux

saltdux Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

~ Take this for what it's worth from a WA guide who's been hunting sea ducks and brant on this side of the Country for over 25 years. Here in Coastal Washington State we've been amidst reduced sea duck limits for some time now, and I can assure you that the sky isn't falling--There's still plenty of good times and memorable hunts to be had amidst the changes. Quality not quantity is the key around here now... and like that or not it is likely the future of sea duck hunting on both coasts as we know it.

~ Not so long ago most of these saltwater ducks were often looked at as "trash" birds that few recognized as an opportunity and seasons were liberal on them. As other waterfowling opportunities waned and competition onshore increased the enthusiasm for sea duck hunting grew, and so did the emphasis on studies on their harvest, breeding, and wintering. Collectively we know a lot more about sea ducks than just a few decades ago. Certainly the data shows there are fewer birds than in the past, and hopefully studies will continue getting answers as to why their numbers and breeding success is not what they once were. In the meantime we as hunters and conservationists will share the burden of lowered limits and seasons until things turn around. But as I said before , there is still plenty of enjoyment to be had in a day offshore decoying in these really cool birds.

2. Pitboss

Pitboss Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

3. mmayes

mmayes Diver Forum Mod Moderator

I agree

Mayes

4. SBE II

SBE II Senior Refuge Member

Sounds like someone is upset because a person has been able to turn their passion into a business. Jealousy looks really bad on people, especially when you're referring to the person I think you are. Puddle ducks population is doing just fine, heck look at Argentina, they absolutely destroy ducks. Don't see any complaints down there. It's going to take more than 1 guide service that advertises the way one should to ruin the population, maybe if every puddle duck hunter turned into a sea duck hunter, maybe

Bottom line, hunting isn't affecting the population. Here are the things that affect the population

1. Habitat
    2. Habitat
    3. Habitat

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  5. eiderking

eiderking Elite Refuge Member

What next, plugged shotguns? :joker

6. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

I blame the internet. It made scoter shooting cool.

7. johnskipper41

johnskipper41 Refuge Member

Its not Jealousy. Its the truth. The only increase in seaduck hunters are not local. Thanks to only 1Guide service.

8. joecitrano

joecitrano Senior Refuge Member

Jealousy,no sir.guide takes guys hunting,guys (former clients)come to same area with there rigs and then they tell there buds,then tv shows showing landmarks and dvd'sdoin the same.so don't tell me 1 guy didn't have that kind of impact.good for a guy making a living doin what he likes.but when you take it n make it mainstream in the name of the almighty $? Then how can you complain about a shorter season.im not alone in my feelings and opinion around here. Yes habitat also contributes to it too,no doubt.the 4 clammers who turned over the bottom certainly made it better.but 4 boats on a huge bay being the habitat reason....bs. I'm no expert or scientist but I'm not blind n its pretty easy to see when its right in front of you.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  9. Pitboss

Pitboss Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Marylanders should know this...

just like the 1985 Rockfish closure on the bay and 1995 Canada Goose Hunting Moratorium, who knows what the future holds???

appears we have 2 more seasons of 107 days, i'd suggest if you haven't done it yet, Do it!

no complaints here...

http://vimeo.com/102511629

thanks,

jeff

10. seaduckhunt

seaduckhunt Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

The "Missing Eiders", have moved their wintering grounds south to Cape Cod. A few years ago, the Feds were going crazy because they were not finding the eiders in the usual places, so they flew to a larger area and guess what? They found that they are in different areas .... humm thousands of eiders eating up the small mussels, why not move? Common sense would be a great thing if some folks use it :l

Off Cape Cod, I can show folks thousands upon thousands of Oldsquaws, eider , and other sea ducks.... all it takes is for some looking outside the usual places.... Not sure why the Feds don't get that concept.

So, Sub.... come south after the second week of Dec. and you'll find your missing eiders.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014