G&H Decoys - all those thinking about buying these decoys

Discussion in 'G&H Decoys' started by Waterfowl fool, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Waterfowl fool

Waterfowl fool Elite Refuge Member

I started duck hunting, well I should say duck watching at 8 years on the Okeechobee with my grandfather in his airboat. I was hooked from the first foggy, mosquito eaten day!

In the late 80’s I received from my grandfather a set of the old rubberized G&H decoys (widgeon and pintail) that he hunted with for years prior but he was buying some of the new plastic pintails for his spread and decided to give me the old ones form the 70’s.

I went into the Marine Corps. In the early 90’s and passed those decoys on to my buddies and after tours I came back home and resettled my “ROOTS” here on the Okeechobee.

One of my first purchases was a set of Super Magnum (And I mean HUGE) pintails and two dozen regular G&H swivel head pintails as well as some of the BWTeal (to which I still say were the best body style teal on the water)

Fast forward through my life and my late 20’s, 30’s and into my 40’s. I still hunt with the some of the same pintail and teal that I bought fresh of the Marine Corps. I have hunted hard, never babied a decoy, I have hunted salt, muck and mud: you name it. I have never had to replace a decoy due to a manufacture issue, but maybe a few to some stray shots of a run through the decoys in the fog with an outboard or mud motor.

Hands down, if you are looking for a quality decoy, made in America you will never need to look further than G&H.

I have heard a few buddies say that they are a bit pricey “out of the shoot”. However, when you take in the factor that these decoys WILL last the beatings, the years and years of solid hard core duck hunting than every penny you pay now will refund itself 20x in the future. The shut up when i pull out 30 year old decoys that look like they came from the factory last month, only hunted a few times.

I have absolutely no ties with the company, no investment with G&H. I am just a guy that knows a good solid product when I see and use it. Generation after Generation they will last - Now with two children 5 and 9 I know that someday it will come time to pass these on to my son or daughter and they will hopefully be enjoyed by my grandkids too.

J. Nash
    Waterfowler for Life
    Okeechobee, Florida

2. Ambush

Ambush Refuge Member Sponsor

Thanks, my friend. We continue this day to make 'MADE IN AMERICA' mean something!

texduk3 likes this.
  3. captbil2003

captbil2003 Refuge Member

I am 56 yrs old, when I was 14, I bought 2 dozen G&H bluebill decoys, of the original 24 decoys, I still hunt over 14. Rattle can white. And black occasionally. Still some of the best looking bluebill decoys made in my opinion!

Ambush likes this.
  4. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

I was sorry to have sold my vintage G&H ringneck decoys, but I was helping out a new duck hunter, and he tells me they still work.I made a couple dozen from cork that I am using. I wanted some G&H "Florida Mottled Decoys" that looked great- these were on the Knutson's site for a while- will these be available any time in the future? I would love a dozen of those!

Ambush likes this.
  5. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Have ~7-8 of the magnum pintail bought 09/1978 in Hattiesburg, Mississippi that are still holding ~85% of the original paint.

texduk3 and Ambush like this.
  6. Chicken

Chicken Elite Refuge Member

My wife bought me a dozen greenwings, a dozen bluebills and a dozen mallards our first Christmas being married (1999) They are still looking great and are hunted 40 days season. A great American made product.

Ambush likes this.
  7. Ambush

Ambush Refuge Member Sponsor

Sorry, the Mottled Mallards were discontinued due to lack of interest. Had to make a production decision

8. Dead Ringer

Dead Ringer Refuge Member

I'll be hunting over a magnum mallard this Saturday. Found it in some buttonbush during summer marsh surveys. Gave it just the smallest bit of touch up where some of the grey had faded to pink and it was ready to hunt again. Can't say that for most of the decoys we find out there.

Ambush likes this.
  9. oldsquaw

oldsquaw Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for keeping your decoys made in America! The quality and durability of your decoys is second to none.

Ambush likes this.
  10. texduk3

texduk3 Senior Refuge Member

still using the same GH Pintails since about 2000?
    Have repainted the white on the drakes,
    have had 2 necks crack on hens,
    was able to buy only one.
    I have to spend over $30.00 in products to get another at $12.00
    dont understand why cant I buy only a single head ??

Ambush likes this.