Decoy Forum Sponsors

G&H Decoys NOT a quality product

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by RIP, Dec 14, 2017.

1. RIP

RIP New Member

In my opinion G&H Decoys should be embarrassed over their failing to stand behind their product. I am trying to be as honest as possible and must say I cannot prove when I purchased their decoys. To my best recollection it was 3 possibly 4 years ago. I do know for a fact it was not any longer because I have not lived in my present location, for their decoys to be older. I also know where I purchased the G&H Decoys at Cabela’s. Prior to Bass Pro Shop taking over Cabela’s it was not necessary to keep receipts for items bought at Cabela’s because they could easily look up anything you bought by just checking your credit card and their UPC Item Number. However, now that Bass Pro has taken over Cabela’s they only maintain purchase records for 30-days and only provide refunds for a very reduced and limited time, unless it is a Cabela’s brand name product. Cabela’s and/or Bass Pro washes their hands of products they carry. Being these are G&H Decoys any dispute must be taken up with the manufacture. So, I looked up their phone number and call G&H customer service last November. I only use these decoys only about a dozen times a year and I store them in a safe place, where they are not moved until the next season, so they see limited action. I have hunted ducks for over 50 years and used my dad’s decoys for almost 40 of years. That’s why I believe these decoys should have lasted the remainder of my hunting career and son should have been able to use them for many years after me.

Alright let’s get to the meat of the subject. As stated I contacted G&H Decoys asked for their customer service. Was turned over to Ward Motes according to his emails he is a Sales and Marketing employee for G&H Decoys. I sent Ward a picture of the flaking and damage to one of the Drake Decoys with a note over my dissatisfaction with these decoys. Ward said their decoys are not fragile, the paint should not be flaking, and he wanted a copy of my sales receipt. Not sure why a receipt is necessary anyway because each decoy is clearly stamped and easily identified as being a G&H Decoy. Regardless I drove to Cabela’s and discovered that I could not get a sales receipt. While at Cabela’s customer service I called Ward and explained to him Cabela’s no longer keeps records over 30 days which he was also surprised to learn. We both remembered that was one of the great things about buying at Cabela’s. Ward said for me to send him one of the decoys for their inspection. To quote Ward “After that, we can determine what needs to be done to rectify the situation.” On November 14th I mail a decoy sample to Ward. Ward received the decoy and said his boss had to authorize any warranty issues. Because of the holidays and his boss taking a few days off I did not receive an answer until November 29th. What his boss offered was a 25% discount on my buying another dozen G&H decoys. That is why I am writing this complaint, really only 25% off on decoys that are either extremely poor quality or defective. And he wants me to purchase another dozen of them for about $150.00 so he can get off the hook for what about $35.00? Being I am over 60 years of age, I have done some dumb things in the past, but I never considered myself stupid. I try to learn from my mistakes and NO that’s not going to happen. Based on how he wants to “rectify the situation” baloney I would rather post this review of G&H Decoys and let other hunters decide if they want to purchase any of their products. By the way I already purchased another set of good looking decoys and bought them on sale for 50% off plus they are NOT G&H. Good Hunting suggest NOT buying poor quality products from G&H Decoys. Look at the attached pictures all the chipped off paint on the decoy bodies and even on and under the beaks. I will never do business with G&H again. IMG_0457.JPG IMG_0458.JPG IMG_0459.JPG IMG_0460.JPG IMG_0461.JPG IMG_0457.JPG

2. bufflehead1

bufflehead1 Senior Refuge Member

Their quality has definitely gone downhill. I have several hundred G&H decoys and that is mostly what I would buy until having the same problems with newer decoys that you are experiencing but a lot worse on some decoys. The old ones still look great.

Customer service a joke. They preach "buy American, buy quality, you can pass it on to future generations" but they don't stand behind their product anymore. I don't honestly understand how they think having the new guy Brian on facebook 24/7 is good for business. While I haven't interacted with him, I've seen him be more than rude and in some cases a straight up jerk to people.

There's another decoy company that I refuse to deal with because of how the owner and prostaff act on the internet and G&H isn't far from becoming #2 on the list.

3. Greentops

Greentops Senior Refuge Member

I have had the same issues with G&H actually that exact same model of decoy. By the end of the season some of the decoys had more paint that was off of them then on them. They don't care there customer service and decoy reps are a complete joke. We owned hundreds of G&H decoys at one time and we are down to about 100 and will be selling the rest. They are stuck in the dinosaur ages and refuse to get on everyone else's level. There buy American deal has become a farce because there quality of decoy is worse then those made in China and they still charge you 40% more. Gone are the days of quality G&H decoys

4. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Why are you expecting Cabela's or any other company to keep a record of your purchases? You wanna use their warranty or have the ability to return something with "lifetime" warranty and you expect them to maintain records for you? Too many ways for a person to get one over on purchases nowadays without proof it came from their store. I agree those decoys pictured have an issue but it's your job to keep receipts, not theirs.

JP, BirdJ, GUNNERX2 and 1 other person like this.
  5. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Serious question, do any of the big decoy companies offer more than one year of warranty?

6. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

How about 1 week warranty? Recently purchased 6 bigfoot floater replacement heads for some older floaters. Received heads and while installing two of the six split open along a seam on bottom of neck. Have tried to contact company about this issue by email and phone call , leaving voice mail message. No response at all from bigfoot company. Now I know their heads aren,t the easiest to take on & off but have no problem doing just that with my other bigfoot floaters.

7. brentbullets

brentbullets Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I am really wondering why you would expect any decoy to company to cover the issue you are having after 3 or 4 years. Does G&H have a lifetime warranty? I honestly don't know. I own well over 100 of them but haven't bought any in over 10 years.

8. bufflehead1

bufflehead1 Senior Refuge Member

The ones I've had trouble with started flaking paint the first season. I've read it's from them not getting all the mold release agent off but I don't if it's that or what but when you get a bad box of decoys it doesn't take any time for it to start flaking.

I have mallards, bluebills and pintails that are doing it.

9. duckme

duckme Elite Refuge Member

Seems to me it would be a whole lot easier to just repaint. Decoy it self is not bad just the paint. Haven't found any decoy paints that last a lifetime. 1st post. Sounds like you are bashing g&h,cabelas,bass pro. Put decoys for sale in classified.

brentbullets likes this.
  10. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

Did you heat them up? IIRC it is part of the process prior to installing them on the bodies.

JP and brentbullets like this.