Decoy Forum Sponsors

G&H Decoys NOT a quality product

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by RIP, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

As much pride as G&H seems to have for their product, I'll agree that your decoys shouldve lasted a bit longer than what they have.

Most of my decoys are G&H and most of them are their supermags ( pintails, mallards, bluebills, redheads and cans). I have about 4 dozen of their floating Canada decoys and a few doz. Canada shells. In all, maybe 225 of their ducks and 75 geese.
    Almost all of these decoys are approx 15-18 years old and may stay out at a permanent blind up to 60 days per year. Thats 60 days in ice, snow, heat, sun, wind etc and they have held up well. What may have changed from 18 years ago (my decoys) to 4 years ago ( yours ) , I dont know.

After 18 years worth of use, some are getting split at the seams where the keel meets the body, a broken head or two, and so on. What gets me, is at the price they are asking now, particularly for their supermags ( $300 per doz) and (it seems) more and more posts about poor paint adhesion, when I go to replace as needed, G&H may no longer be the brand I shop for.

Trying to support a fellow American is one thing, having to sell my house or donate a kidney to afford their decoys is another.

2. NW BIRDHUNTER

NW BIRDHUNTER Senior Refuge Member

Most warranties are for 1 year. Most companies won't warranty something 3 or 4 years old. Some G and H decoys are very durable, some not so much. I touch up my decoys when they begin to look rough.

3. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Had set them in sun to warm day I installed which was already in the 50,s. Used a little dish soap around neck and base to ease process. Old heads go on and off easily but 2 out of the six new I purchased won,t. Have tried heating with a hair dryer since but still wont go on. Tried contacting Clinton Decoy again Friday with no luck so far.

4. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

When I received replacement heads for my pintails, they included instructions to heat them up in the oven for like 10min at low heat prior to installing them. It has been quite a few years since then though.

5. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Senior Refuge Member

AvianX.

I'll just leave that right there for your consumption.

6. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Well Clinton decoy company got back with me today and after discussing problem are shipping me out replacements for heads that wouldn,t install. They Even followed up with a call to make sure issue was resolved completely. That's what I call good customer service!

7. HONKEREXTREME

HONKEREXTREME Senior Refuge Member

Gone are the days of quality and customer service. I can’t stand people much anymore. That’s why I started making my own decoys and calls, so if they break or paint comes off all I have to do is talk to myself! LOL

Ringbill and duckbuster5901 like this.
  8. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Have conversations with yourself often? Do you answer back?

9. Patodor

Patodor Senior Refuge Member

I think it's too early to say on AvianX - being one of the most recent to the market. Aside from the occasional concave duck I've had to toss out (especially in colder weather), I've been generally happy with mine. Will revisit in a couple more years.

10. bufflehead1

bufflehead1 Senior Refuge Member

I have had five or six dozen AvianX puddle ducks for several years with no problems. I bought three dozen redheads, they haven't been used a ten days and the paint is scratching off of them.

Spencer5100 likes this.