Decoy Forum Sponsors

G&H Mallards

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Tdawg5664, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Tdawg5664

Tdawg5664 Refuge Member

I am deciding to buy some decoys from a guy on craigslist. He has 2 dozen of the G&H swivel head mallards. I was wondering how they hold up paint wise.

2. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Historically, G&H set the standard on paint adhesion. I think they've cheated someway/somehow lately and the paint isn't "as good as it used to be", but it likely still is very well "one of the best".

An old boy that hunted with me a couple times knew of what it takes to have paint stick to a plastic decoy ( I think he sold plastic to a few decoy companys at one time ) and he always raved on how G&H knew and did what it took to make paint stick.

Fowler267 likes this.
  3. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

Carry-Lite decoys... Buy mallards and within three years; you had "black ducks"...

Early GHG turned pink...

I have part of a dozen Flambeau pintails I bought in 87 or 88 that the paint has held up decent on. I do touch up the white and black every few years.

I have a doz each of mallards and gadwall in GnH from 99 that have held up paint wise. A few of the mallards cracked around the bottom edge or around the keel early on through.

HONKSRWORKN likes this.
  4. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I know Tdawg didnt ask any of this, but I'm gonna chime in my two cents to go along with your post....

When I first started out (1983 or so at about 11 yrs of age), Carry-Lites were what I could afford.
    I still believe they looked good (body shapes and paint colors) but you're right, the paint would come off in flakes...no, SHEETS..., after a short time. Its to bad as I like their decoys and they were something a kid in his teens could afford.

Some older guys I knew loved G&H and bought dozens upon dozens for their permanent blinds. I couldnt see spending that much for a decoy that didnt look as good as the old Flambeau's or even the Carry Lites. One day I guess I woke up, sold most all my decoys, and put that money back into some G&H supermags (mallards, pintail drakes, redheads, cans and bluebills). A number of these G&H are about 18 years old now and have lived around a few permanent blinds 60 or so days per year.

They get "stained" from the water some (near the water line) but have held up great, minus some cracking near the keel/body ( this may be due to being stacked on each other during the off season, though. I take the heavy weights off the decoys before stacking them to avoid "crushing" them, but again, they are 18 year old pieces of plastic). I've done very little paint touch up on most of em, other than my divers which basically get some flat enamel Rust-Oleum black & white paint every few years or so. This isn't due to paint falling off but more so because the decoys get dirty/stained and a new coat of paint looks better.

The thing is, now a dozen supermags cost about $300 per dozen + shipping. With a mortgage, wife, two kids, and other expenses, I just cant justify buying any more to replace ones I've lost, had to throw away, etc.

To go back to Tdawg's question, check what the guy wants for em vs. what they go for new. If you're happy with the cost and any visable wear & tear on em, buy em. You'll likely be pleased with the decoys.

5. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

I bought a dozen G&H swivel head mallards about 15 years ago. They are far and above better quality than any other brand decoy I've had or used. The paint looks just as new as when I bought them.

6. Green Duck Truck

Green Duck Truck Washington State Moderator Moderator

Although I stopped running G&H decoys a decade or so back, mostly because they refused to keep up with the rise of truly realistic decoys, I will say that their paint was usually top notch as far as adhesion. Back in the late 70s, we had a couple dozen that “blew” their paint, but they were replaced as defective. All the others that buddies and I have owned were very strong on holding paint. I can’t speak to their current products.

Ringbill likes this.
  7. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I always heard how tough Herter's decoys were... Yes they are un sinkable but can't hold up to mobile duck hunting. Probably a great decoy to leave out all year but mine looked like crap after a few hunts while Flambeaus, GnH etc looked about the same.

Personally, I have way more decoys then I care to put out, I was scouting today and found one Flambeau hen in great condition on the lakeshore. Most years ; I find a couple dozen that break line or heavy wind washes away.

I just wish people would spend more money and leave the expensive decoys out! LOL!

8. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

I bought some used g&h about eight years ago. No telling how old they were when I bought them. The paint is holding up, just a little dull.

9. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

I bought 3 doz swivel head G&H mallards maybe 10-12 years ago and the paint has held up very well on the ones that I still have. Most of them blew out of my boat traveling to the lake. The major complaint I have with them is the necks split where they join the body.
    What I understand about the paint coming off in sheets on the old CarryLites was they started using recycled plastic and no paint would adhere to the mixture. That's what I was told anyway.

10. GulfCoast

GulfCoast Moderate Moderator Moderator

Its been a while since I purchased any G&H decoys, because mine have lasted so well. I am still using some from the 1990's.