G n H River gators?

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Fowler267, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

Anyone tried these?

Any opinions?

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I have true river keels from Don Mintz. So, while not the same as your question, the concept applies.
    They work great. My problem is my river has lots of grass, and at some point, the grass stops the movement. So, they have to be kept clean.
    Also, my river can be shallow, or at least where I want to put my decoys. Normal rivers probably not a problem.
    That price seems excessive, but money means different things to different people. At $30, I would be all in. At $70, maybe one set.
    I DO recommend having some decoys that move. You don't need all of em equipped, 4 should be plenty for 1-2 doz.
    If I didn't have mine, I would be in for one set.
    By the way, I tried the salmon fishing 'flasher' type set up, with the flasher in front of the decoy. Those work 'ok', but nothing like having the keel do the work.

3. Fowler267

Yes I bought some of the clear plastic flasher type deals. They did work a bit but that plastic was too brittle for my usage.

If the price was $70 for 4 decoys with the gators I would try it. Not sure about just the devices through.

Most of the places I hunt don't have as much current as a regular flowing river. WE can try the Mississippi which has plenty but we generally are in places with a lot less flow.

4. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I do my share of river hunting. This means I watch my share of live birds on the river. I see damn few swimming with that exaggerated, constant side-to-side movement that devices like this produce. That is just UNnatural.

Fowler267 likes this.
  5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

That is an accurate assessment. Spinners on a pole don't look natural either. *not trying to be a jerk here, just saying*
    Maybe that is why I only use a few in the set. I think all 12 might look funny. Just having a few going, and they blend in.

As with many things in hunting, what WE perceive, and what the BIRDS perceive, might be, and probably are, different. We see decoys jerking around like chickens with their heads cut off. Maybe all the birds see is movement, and movement means live birds.

I also think current speed makes a difference. I put some in a hot creek my friend hunts. They REALLY moved around. On my normal river, the movement is pretty gentle. In both cases, I have had birds land right next to them.

Birds are stupid sometimes. Maybe you are right. Who really knows.

WHUP ! Hen and Tuleman like this.
  6. Fowler267

I decided to order a set. They surprised me with the design; it sure doesn't look like anything I would try but I'll get them put on this weekend and see how they do.

7. Green Duck Truck

Green Duck Truck Washington State Moderator Moderator

Let us know! :tu

8. Fowler267

I received the Rivergators... Put them on Higdon Battleships and old late 90s Flambeau Supermags.

GnH tells you that you may need to cut off quite a bit of the keel... I didn't want to do this on these decoys and they do not work with full keels.

I plan to remove them from the decoys they are on and put them on smaller decoys first before cutting any keels.

9. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Cut the keels. You can always buy more decoys.