Gackle ND house owners

Discussion in 'North Dakota Flyway Forum' started by cancarver, Nov 4, 2018.

1. cancarver

cancarver Senior Refuge Member

Please spread the word to any hunters that own property in the city of Gackle. The assessment will quadruple the current taxes, and were being told the 70 properties owned by people from out of town, don't care, they can afford it. You might own a $10K house with 20K in assessments. The Meeting is tomorrow night and the city has turned their phone off, PM me and I can put you in touch with a petition.

http://www.newsdakota.com/2018/11/01/special-assessment-for-roads-in-gackle-causing-concerns/

2. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

Not much different than owning a lake cabin in Minnesota. Land valued higher, no homestead exemption, taxation higher if on water, and unless you reside there - no voting rights.

I would have guessed 10 - 20 houses in a town like Gackle would be owned by nonresident hunters, but 70 (over a third) is rather surprising.

Don't hunt that area - but drive through there once in awhile. That town has not been much of anything for at least 40 years, probably much longer.

3. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

No that whole area out there is pretty well Wisconsin in Minnesota now. It's as much to do with fishing these days as hunters. Those guys pour in for ice fishing! My question here though is what were the taxes before? if they're going to be quadrupled I'm just curious how low they were to begin with and what will they be compared to other towns in the area?

4. recker999

recker999 Senior Refuge Member

I think alot of guys bought them up in the mid 90's when the popular areas of North Dakota were still really good and not totally taking over by the hunters. Now all good land is locked up and the other ducks are pressured beyond belief. An area like Gackle is not even close to what it was for hunting in the 90's. Sadly probably going to be pretty darn hard to sell those houses now as I do not think they are all that sought out anymore. Hopefully it works out for him.

5. Ramblingman

Ramblingman Senior Refuge Member

Dad lives outside Gackle. It's overrun with hunters and used to be outfitter heavy. The hunting has been bad for years in that area. Just my 2 cents.

6. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

7. Ramblingman

Ramblingman Senior Refuge Member

8. recker999

recker999 Senior Refuge Member

I spoke to a guy at a boat landing on the miss river in Wisconsin around probably 2010. Said he just got back from stretter and rented a house from Sheldon. Said he told them he could not tell them where to go but said here is why I would go. He said they were on private land sheldon had access to. So id say walking a very thin line. Who knows where he is now.