Gadwall call

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by Titleist, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Hugatree

Hugatree Elite Refuge Member

You can make that mink sound of the Gadwall Drake with a normal hen Mallard call. Choke up on the call by placing it on one corner of the mouth and say : “ dat “ or “ tat “ or “ mink “ or “ dink “.

2. Sunklands

Sunklands Senior Refuge Member

Lots of grays in SEMO this year. Last year, I thought was the most I'd ever seen but, I believe this years got it beat. I try to stay out of them and get my mallards and woodies but, damn they'll decoy prettier than anything when they decide to.

Hugatree likes this.
  3. blackdog58

blackdog58 Elite Refuge Member

Hmmm. Good luck, enjoy. All I have to say about this, is that Gadwalls are living proof that God has a sense of humor.

4. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Moderator- Diver, NY Forum, Refuge Classifieds Sponsor Moderator Flyway Manager

Phelps,New York (Heart of the Finger Lakes)
    Eat just as good as a Mallard!!

Pastor and OneShotBandit like this.
  5. DuckMan62

DuckMan62 New Member

Grays are thicker than Mallards so far.
    Good luck on your calling them suckers in on your spread

6. Rickard

Rickard Refuge Member

Hunted SE and central KS in early November and had a good push of gadwalls. Had very few that didn't fall on the first swing to a my Ducklander 300 or Committed Snubnose. Worked them just like swinging mallards. Hadn't seen very many in years previous and had read a lot about how skittish they could be. Had a different experience. After the first week, I thought I might just be some kind of calling prodigy as i seemingly couldn't do anything wrong for them. Great eating and some great experiences. I'll agree to above, when they commit, they go hard. Downed some real nice drakes and probably should have considered putting one on the wall, but that smoker needed loading.

7. DuckMan62

DuckMan62 New Member

Sounds like you have a great hunt there Rickard. Our hunts (mine) has been very much hit and miss on Gadwalls. They either want to come in and die on the spot of our spread or would soon rather see whats going on in the next county. For the most part you have to take your chances on wing shooting and hope you put a good shot pattern on them. I've seen more gray ducks this year than green heads. Before shooting time you can hear the Mallards flying over head but once day breaks they are as rare as hens teeth.

Yeah I don't think I've ever smoked a gaddy but I sure it was some fine eatin'.

8. Rickard

Rickard Refuge Member

I treat most of the ducks I smoke like a chicken with the exception of wrapping them with bacon in a lattice pattern. Stuff them with citrus fruit (orange, lemon, lime, doesn't matter) and a few garlic cloves. Rarely get one with any fat so I skin them out instead of plucking. The bacon essentially replaces the fat and the skin. Smoke hard for an hour and just let the heat do the work for 2 more. Pull off the bacon and dive in. If I'm ambitious, I'll pluck them, quarter and then toss them on the charcoal grill. Tough to beat and still pretty good for you. Do it for pheasants too. I like pecan or oak.