Game birds on a Kamado?

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by fishnfool, Feb 13, 2018.

1. fishnfool

fishnfool Elite Refuge Member

Anyone cook their birds on a Kamado style grill? I bought one a few months ago and have been honing my skills on ribs, wings, steaks, and the Thanksgiving turkey. Looking for tips and tricks on wild birds.

I've got a whole/plucked wood duck, grouse, and some woodcock in the freezer that I've been itching to try. If it were just duck breast or less tasty fowl I would go the usual flash sear/rare middle route. But anyone ever go low and slow for whole birds?

BTW....this is probably the best toy I've bough in years. If you've been mulling this type of grill, you won't be disappointed.

2. badhabit

badhabit Elite Refuge Member

I shake a bunch of Montreal Seasoning on duck breasts, both sides. Heat my BGE up to 375-400. 4 minutes a side comes out medium rare. The natrual wood charcol adds so much flavor.

Another way, I took one of those stamped steel woks with the wood over the handles and removed the wood. Took the metal grill off the Egg and bent the wok handles to fit inside on the fire ring. Makes stir fry super easy having the charcol heat. I use duck and goose instead of beef, chicken or pork. Kung Poa duck is great.

Long Shot likes this.
  3. Lexuss

Lexuss Senior Refuge Member

I have the grill, don't have tips for wild game yet, but look up spatchcock chicken, very good.