Game Stock

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by sjemac, Dec 14, 2005.

1. sjemac

sjemac Moderator

The thread on Mushroom Soup got me started on this one.

Every deer I butcher I take the long bones, give em a crack and throw them into the roasting pan as I butcher.
    Roast them on high heat for about an hour turning to ensure even browning. Last 20 minutes of roasting I throw in some onions, carrots and celery to get that to brown up too.
    Drain the fat, the meat on the bones should be almost black by now but not burnt.

Put everything in a big stock pot, add peppercorns, herbs, bayleaves etc. and cover it all with COLD water and heat 'er up - skimming the foam that tends to rise to the surface. (** NO SALT YET)

Simmer at least 6 hours (I usually go 8-10) topping up water as needed. Remove bones and veg and strain liquid through a good strainer or a few layers of cheesecloth.

Put liquid back on stove top and simmer to reduce the stock to the desired consistancy. I do it two ways:

One way is to reduce the liquid on the stove by half for use in stews, soups etc.

The other is to slowly reduce it on low heat until it reaches almost the consistancy of syrup -- it will actually gel when cooled. This is a great flavor booster when added to a sauce or to red wine, minced onion and pan drippings. It takes that food to another level.

The soup stock I freeze in ice cream tubs and large ziplocs. When I make a soup or gravy, I use it instead of water.

The condensed stock I freeze in ice cube trays. One cube is all you need to make a sauce really rich.

Only add salt to it when you are making your final product. Otherwise it will get too salty as the liquid reduces and evaporates.

Same can be done for duck and chicken carcasses just reduce the roasting times and only simmer a chicken stock for about 3 hours.