Gator Trax Vrs. GatorTail (Boats)

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by Waterfowl fool, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Waterfowl fool

Waterfowl fool Elite Refuge Member

Having and issue deciding which to go with. I would like to hear anyone's thoughts on the boats. Going with a GTR 35 S-2, 18X60 with a hunt deck.....Thoughts...

2. sandman7655

sandman7655 Elite Refuge Member

no comparison in my opinon.gatortail boats is a good boat but gator trax is a full custom built how u want and the round chine turns on a dime.i would def go gatortrax.

3. Hen Slayer

Hen Slayer Senior Refuge Member

Go drive both before you decide. There are pros and cons of both. Both make a hell of a boat, and gatortail can make your boat pretty much any way you want it. Only advantage I see in a round chine is ability to do sharp turns in 2' plus water at speed. Something I rarely do, and if you run in the skinnys all boats even round chine will slide. The advantages in a square chine are more suitable for a MM, thus most guys who run short tail MMs run square chine boats. Get some tiller time and you can eliminate most sliding and even come to use it to your advantage if need be.

4. Mallardmisser

Mallardmisser Elite Refuge Member

I've owned both. I think the trax is better built, especially in the front where gtb stops the runners. Kent will also build a gator trax boat any way you want, as long as it 's a round chine.. I would buy gator trax again.

I think most builders do square chine cuz it is easier. You just need a big brake. And the shipyards down south will bend it for them. Most guys I think drive a square chine boats because that is what the mm builders make.

The difference in draft between the two is insignificant. A guy that goes by the name deadbird8 showed everyone the physics and math. On a diiferent forum. Many rednecks were incapable of taking off their blinders and will insist a square chine drafts less.

Definitely go for a ride in each, agree there are pros and cons to each. One thing to ensure is that the transom angle is made for the motor you intend use.

5. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

I have no experience with GT boats or motors but I will tell you I have owned 3 GT boats and their turning ability (without sliding) under full power is impressive.

I regularly hunt out of the first GT boat I owned...it is 9 years old and counting. Sold it to a buddy. Still as solid as the day it rolled out of the factory.

6. sandman7655

sandman7655 Elite Refuge Member

a square chine is not better suited for a mudmotor its just what a lot of builders build.go drive em both and i think you will pick a gatortrax,if you want a boat built the way you want you will def go gatortrax.

7. ARguide

ARguide Elite Refuge Member

Gator Tail extreme series

Both are good boats. They both will customize your boat however you want.

8. Hen Slayer

Please explain.... And he's putting a GTR on the boat.

9. Mallardmisser

Mallardmisser Elite Refuge Member

What is the advantage? Does not draft shallower. Doesn't turn better in the skinnies. Turns worse in deep water. Where is the advantage?

Cheaper (more profit) for MM builders to make. So they tell their customers they work better?

10. Hen Slayer

Load carrying, getting on step, getting on step in shallow water, performance in mud, reversing. I too have had both and will never own a round chine again. With tiller time you're able to control the slide, I didn't buy my boat to run a slalom course, I bought it to duck hunt! Square chine better fits those requirements hands down!

Every mud motor company who builds boats intended for short tail motors builds square chine boats. When Go Devil introduced their new surface drive motors, they also introdcued their new boat line specifacally for their surface drive motors. It also happens to be a square chine. GD has been making round chine boats for ever, and are fully capable of doing so. As competitive as the mud motor market is, don't you think if there was any advantage they would have done it, or offered it. Even custom builders rarely build round chine boats for customers. If there was an advantage, the small custom builders would be all over it. As big as PD, GT, and GD are and the amount of research all three major companies do, I find it hard to believe that there is an advantage. Don't get me wrong, Gtrax makes a find boat, but I just don't see any advantage over a GTB. More like personal preference. I've run side by side with several and don't see any advantage besides the ability to turn sharp at speed. Also if the OP is putting on a GTR then it just makes sense to go with a GTB. Gator Tail knows best what works with their motors.