Gator Trax Vrs. GatorTail (Boats)

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by Waterfowl fool, Jul 21, 2013.

1. leaky wader

leaky wader Elite Refuge Member

see'n the outdoors thru the eyes of my girl
    Antny, you are correct that the crimped sides that G Trax started offering years ago has helped with spray. My old 1744 had smooth-walled sides and I got wet in rough water no doubt..the 18" sides didn't help things either though. Since G Trax started with the crimped offering life has been a bit more on the dry side. No doubt they help. Combined with my 21" sides of my current hull and my ride became comfortable. Wouldn't own another boat without 'em now. Back in the day of longtails only, when G Trax was born, they weren't much of a necessity as we weren't going fast enough with a load to worry about spray or water creeping over gunnels. But when the shorties came into the scene G Trax saw the need and adjusted the designs accordingly.

2. ARguide

ARguide Elite Refuge Member

They both are good boats and good people. Many people will tell you that the gator trax and gator tail have the best customer service in the industry.

Unfortunately there is not a do all boat or a one size fits everything rig.

I think the difference in draft between an empty hull round vs square is less than 1/4 in. But I could be wrong. In reality the drafting depth of these two styles is a non-factor for me and our conditions.

Some stuff I would look at:

company history-how long have they been around, how is their brand, customer service after the sale, and what does their future look like (are they going to be around to help if needed).

Performance, speed, turning, functionality, durability

Customization and options

Cost is never an issue, unless it is in the absence of value.

I also look at resell options as well. I haven't planned on selling any boat I've bought but...... So which boats sell well and hold their value? Likely not an issue with either of the two.

At the end of the day they both are great companies and they both produce great products. So it is similar to a Ford/Chevy debate. Look at both and decide what you like. Drive each if you can.

You will either be sold on one or the other or you will be like me and wish you were rich so you could have one of each. :yes

3. leaky wader

Now that was the best post back to the OP's question.:clap

4. ARguide

One more thought if you are going with an 1860 you should strongly consider 2 motors even if they are modified.

That is a lot of boat to push even if you figure you can make that 35 a 50. That's a lot of weight empty and you will have more room to put stuff so I bet you will have a load.

Now many will say I won't put that much stuff in a boat I just like the room. I used to have a regular cab truck, now I don't know how I ever made it without a crew cab. And I can't wait for them to come out with a 6 door truck because I ain't got no (southern talk) room in this 4 door anymore.:tu

5. leaky wader

You are right..it does depend on how much he loads into it and where that load is distributed. But. I have hung MB5500 and MB7000's on the back of 3-4 man Gator Hides and they rolled out just fine. Just know that the hole shot ain't exactly lightning fast but once up on pad it will move out. Just for comparison, A 3 man hide is appx 18x62 and a 4 man Hide is nearly 20ft x 62.

But if it were me and I wanted a larger rig, I'd get a 1862 Hybrid Big Water Edition with 24" sides. I'd have that bad boy pimped to the gills too. Add a huntdeck, toss me in some enclosed catwalks, floors to walls,ext deck, bow fish platform, CC w/leaning post and dual 45's. Of course a few other small options ( too many to list..lol). Yessir, I'd roll out large in that bad boy:amen

6. ARguide

Sounds nice, I mean expensive $$$$:yes

Another thing to check out is YouTube. Gator Trax probably has more on there than Gator Tail but there is a lot to look at.

7. leaky wader

Yup...too rich for my budget...but wishes are free:D