Gator trax vs pro drive

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by Adam MB, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Adam MB

Adam MB New Member

I'm looking into getting a duck boat and have lots of research I've narrowed it down to the pro drive x series and the gator trax gt. I want to get a 1754 model. What experiences have you had with either boat and what are the pros or cons of either boat. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Welcome to the forum. Although I have not owned a ProDrive boat I have owned their motor since 2008. I had it mounted on a GatorTrax 1650 hunt deck and now it is on a Phowler Extreme 1852. I have owned three GatorTrax boats and they have all been fine hulls. The reason I got out of my last GT was that the hunt deck hull GT is not the best hull to run on a full power reverse Prodrive (with manual reverse vs. the hydraulic reverse introduced later). It was a pain to reverse the motor direction. From a performance standpoint, the GatorTrax hulls with their rounded chines handle like a sports car and are built like a tank. And GatorTrax is excellent to deal with.

I have no reason to believe that the ProDrive hulls would not be perfectly matched to run with their motor, and ProDrive's product quality and customer service is also excellent.

3. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

My Brother and myself have had a 1754PD boat with a stock 32 hp Prodrive engine on it since 08 it's an 06 model that we bought from a friend, the engine has about 2000 hours on it. The boat is a TANK it's a heavy, strong boat!
    No problems with the boat or engine besides basic wear and tear on the motor.
    On a trip last year we hunted a silted in marsh/ Tule Lake CA the water is about 10'' deep with a mucky mud bottom that will swallow a man. The boat and motor combo was faster on the top end then a friends 36hp that had a bunch of performance mods done to the engine and we had way more weight in our boat than they did. He has way more low end power than ours but once we get going we will pass him on a long run. It's not fast by any means, 20 to 24 mph at it's best with two big dudes a dog and gear. We run it with 3 big dudes 2 dogs and gear all the time, with that load we are most likely getting 15 to 18 mph in deep water. It gets us into area's that an outboard could never get into. but if you get stuck ( and you will get stuck ) running 3 guys and 2 dogs it's not easy to get it moving again. ( always keep 2 push poles in the boat)
    All and all it's a good combo, but it sure would be nice to have a few more ponies pushing it.Buy the biggest motor you can afford, whichever way you decide to go.

4. buck19

buck19 Senior Refuge Member

I have a PD boat built by Gatortrax, 1848 and my Dad has a Gatortrax 1752 both with 36s. I have run both a 27 and a 36 on mine. Even after putting a bunch of hours on Dads boat, I don’t get the fascination of round chimes with shorttails. IMO your giving up a lot to be able to turn sharp. With a little stick time you can safely navigate the same water in the PD. A taper chime in my experience float higher, carry load better and plan faster. The X series have floatation? Dad wanted full floatation and zero slide, so he went with the Gatortrax. I don’t care for how PD dose there gunbox. Durability has been awesome for both. Basically your comparing chime type and floatation.

5. Mallardmisser

Mallardmisser Elite Refuge Member

Plenty of myth here.. a round chine boat does not float significantly deeper than a square chine boat of the same weight and length. It's called displacement and it is "simple" physics. Now i will concede that gatortrax boats tend to be heavier than many others, but it has nothing to do with the chine style.

Here's the math and computed by Deadbird8 from *** (he is an engineer)

Let's look at an easy to figure case. Straight sided box 16' long x 5' wide. 16 x 5 = 80 sq. ft. If this box were submerged 1', it would displace 80 cu. ft. Water is 62.4 lb per cu. ft., so that is 80 x 62.4 = 4992 lb. supported per ft. of submerged depth. So, if the hull, motor, people, etc. were 1664 lb. (yes, I'm working the numbers to come out even) this "boat" would float in (1664 lb / 4992 lb per ft) = 1/3 ft. Now, 1/3 ft = 4 inches. The boat floats in 4 inches. OK, let's round the corners on the long edges into a curve of 4" radius. (This would be a lot easier with some drawings . . .) From the center of the curve of the rounded chine, there was originally a square corner 4" x 4" = 16 sq. in. This square corner is now replaced with one quarter of a circle having a 4" radius. The area of the circle is "Pi x radius squared" or 3.14 x 4 x 4 = 50.27 sq. in. One fourth of that circle is 50.27/4 = 12.57 sq. in. So, we lost 16 - 12.57 = 3.43 sq. in. There are 12 x 12 =144 sq. in. in a sq. ft. So, 3.43 sq. in. / 144 sq. in. per sq. ft. = .0238 sq. ft. Now, how much volume did we lose rounding the corners on both of the long sides? .0238 sq. ft. x 16 ft. x 2 sides = .762 cu. ft. So, this rounded chine boat does not displace 80 cu. ft. when submerged 1 ft. It displaces 80 - .762 = 79.238 cu. ft. and submerged 1 ft. it would carry 79.238 x 62.4 = 4944.5 lb. Now, it gets a little complicated. The original boat carried the 1664 lb submerged 4", and it took 80 x (4/12) = 26.667 cu. ft. of submersion to do it. The rounded boat displaces only 26.667 - .762 = 25.905 cu . ft. when submerged the same 4 inches, and it will carry 25.905 x 62.4 = 1616.47 lb. But we need to carry 1664 lb. So, we need to carry 1664 - 1616.47 = 47.53 lb more. But, we are now no longer sinking the curved part of the hull, so we are back to the profile that will carry 4992 lb. per ft. of submersion. 47.53 / 4992 = .0095 ft. .0095 ft. = .114 inches. 1/8 of an inch is .125, so you float almost an eighth of an inch deeper!

6. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

Deabird8 would be fun to party with:no

callinfowl and warrenwaterfowler like this.