Gear questions.

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by weekend warrior, May 31, 2013.

1. weekend warrior

weekend warrior Elite Refuge Member

Why kind of now do you guys shoot an how do you like it? I love my alpha Max. Very fast very forgiving.

What arrow setup you use? So far I like my Easton axis and blazer Erin's with 150 grain muzzys. Should I step that up for elk this year?

Last one is fall away or whisker bisket? Used to have a drop away and switched to whisker to avoid the arrow coming off the rest which I have a problem with for some reason :scratch. Not sure how I like the whisker though, kinda feel like its slowing my arrow down alot.

2. Ben Perez

Ben Perez Elite Refuge Member

I shoot an Elite Hunter and primarily shoot Easton Flatline or Gold Tip XT Hunter arrows with the XT Hunter's being a leg up for me. I also shoot a QAD Ultra Rest which I like. The rest does not have any interference with the arrow and has helped my accuracy and increased my speed as well.

3. Greenhead Rocker

Greenhead Rocker Elite Refuge Member

Hoyt CRX35 with QAD Ultra Rest HD(or whatever it's called) Sword sights and Posten stabilizer. Easton Flatline Surgicals with blazers and 100 grain Slick Trick heads. No issues with arrows falling off as its a full containment rest. Very forgiving and smooth setup.

Can't speak on upping the weight for elk but Cameron Hanes shoots full metal jackets with 100gr Thunderheads for everything...he seems to be doing ok with the smaller heads. Just make sure the blades are razor sharp.

4. duckdawg1

duckdawg1 Senior Refuge Member

I shoot a spyder 30 with a QAD rest. $ for $ you can't do any better. Now days there are a lot of full containment rest out there and can get the job done with. I would look for a larger cutting dia. for your broadheads. It's all about kinetic energy. With your set up, you should be fine with what you have if not go a little lighter and pick up some fps.

5. RedDog

RedDog Elite Refuge Member

I shoot a Silvertip(recurve) right off the shelf with Zwickey 2 bladed tipped cedars at a blistering 3 feet/second :l High tec at it's finest. Now I'm tillering a Sudbury style hickory flatbow to go with some river cane self arrows and a otter/beaver skin quiver. The deer will really be in trouble now

6. 2dogs1949

2dogs1949 Senior Refuge Member

I shoot a Fedora long bow, off the shelf, cedar shafts, woodsman broadheads.

7. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

Bowtech Insanity CPX w/ a QAD Ultra-rest HD (dropaway will full containment), HHA XL-5519 sight and Gold Tip Ultralight 300's w/ 2 blade Rage (yeah, yeah... :flame but I haven't lost one yet).

Several tests show that you only lose about 3 fps by using a WB.

8. Bigtymer

Bigtymer Senior Refuge Member

I've shot a WB for many years with little complaint. It's accurate for me which is the main thing. Also the arrow can't fall off no matte the angle/position you are in. Drop aways are nice, but it's adds one more thing that could fail on you mechanically.

9. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

I shoot a ripstop dropaway. When I'm hunting, I go ahead and flip up the rest and the arrow can't fall off. It has a guard over the top. I never cared for the whisker biscuits, but a lot of guys swear by them.