Gear Weight

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by bill cooksey, Apr 29, 2016.

1. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Y'all ever weigh the gear you carry to the woods? Read an article a few years ago which got me thinking. The author had several "pros" weigh the gear they carry (minus gun, clothing and vest itself), and it seems they averaged around fifteen pounds. Sounded like a lot to me, but then I thought about all the threads I've seen with packed vests and also the loaded vests of some folks I've hunted with. It interested me enough to weigh my stuff. Turns out I don't carry enough to be a pro. Just a hair over two pounds, and that included a bottle of water.

So, how much extra weight do you carry in the woods? Oh, the weights included decoys too.

2. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

So with my bow, blind, DSD's (jake/hen), chair, tripod/camera and miscellaneous "stuff", I'm probably around 35-40 pounds.

Crazy. I know. :l

DEC likes this.
  3. marsh-mello

marsh-mello Elite Refuge Member

What I'm concerend with is carrying out more than I carried in! I try and sort through as much as possible to eliminate carrying extra weight. Never seems to work out just right. One back packing trip it worked out perfect...so I think I will consider myself lucky.

4. DEC

DEC Elite Refuge Member

I hunt like Dan does. Blind on a RackPack (doubles as a chair), bow, 4 DSD's (sometimes a strutter), camera gear (that bag alone weighs over 15#), tripod, often a second chair. It is a lot of weight. When I kill a bird, I often make two trips back to the truck ... :sp

Shot Caller likes this.
  5. Shot Caller

Shot Caller Senior Refuge Member

Just the other day i packed out a 20lb gobbler over on my right shoulder and my wore out 4 year old son on my left. It was only 3/4 of a mile but i felt like a ran a marathon by the time we got back to the house!

DEC and Jawbreaker like this.
  6. bill cooksey

Been years ago, but my son loved to tag along when he was little (five years old and about fifty pounds at the time). Turkey hunting was his favorite because I rarely sit for long, and we covered a ton of ground. One day late in the season we'd hunted several different areas, and about ten I asked if he wanted to try one more. He said "sure." Well, this place is laid out for a "death march." You can walk for miles.

About 11:30 we were about as far back as I was interested in going, and it was getting HOT. I told him it was time to head back to the truck, and he said, "I'm tired." He climbed up on my shoulders and I started walking. Hadn't gone ten steps when I feel him slump over and he starts snoring in my ear. Just over 3.5 miles later, he woke up when I opened the truck door. Never so happy to not kill a turkey in my life.

Shot Caller and GUNNERX2 like this.
  7. Smoke68

Smoke68 Refuge Member

After opening day when I killed a turkey on my own, I toted my 5 year old all season. He's about 45 lbs. Literally toted him whenever we got into standing water, which was a lot. Never had a such a big payout in my life as that last hunt this season.

[​IMG]

8. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

If I'm minus clothes, gun, and vest, still typically over 15 lbs. On a run-n-gun trip, less than 5.

9. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

If you had killed a turkey would you have taken the bird or your son back to the truck first? :l

10. bill cooksey

Would have carried breast, legs, beard and spurs to truck along with son. Coyotes would have to carry the rest out. I actually thought about it a time or two on the walk.