Geese & Corn.... What to plant?

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by DUCKDIGGLER, Apr 20, 2003.

1. DUCKDIGGLER

DUCKDIGGLER Senior Refuge Member

Fellas, I have a lease and the farmer said he would plant whatever type of corn that I wanted to for the geese. My question is what type is best? Cow corn or Sweet corn? The field in approximately 20 acres and it is ringed in hay on all sides the middle 10 acreswill be corn(if thats best). I am a dummy when it comes to agriculture but would like to plant the best crop for my buck. He estimated a cost of $200 per/acre, is that fair? How about weed control? Let me hear you opinions on this subject! Any and all information is appreciated, thanks in advance! DD

2. silvermallard

silvermallard Elite Refuge Member

Well, first of all, it is ILLEGAL to plant ag crops for the purpose of hunting waterfowl. If you want to hunt in that field, then you MUST plant ag crops for the purpose of realizing an agricultural harvest.

Second, $200/acre may be normal in your neck of the woods for custom farming, but it would be about $80/acre high in the Midwest. And that price MUST include soil treatments, tillage, fertilizer, and weed/pest control. At $200/acre it doesn't surprise me one bit he said he'd plant whatever you want!

Third, for that kind of $$$ you need to be thinking about what gives you the most profitable yield and plant that. Along those lines, look at popcorn and sweet corn. With sweet corn you can make a killing by running one of those "pick your own" deals on weekends or just pick it by hand (at 10-20 acres that's no big deal) and sell it by the ear at a local market.

Fourth, the geese don't care...corn is corn...wheat, milo, oats, etc...any cereal grain will do.

Fifth, if the farmer was thinking he'd charge you $200/acre and then harvest your crop before hunting season and keep the proceeds from sales himself, you need to have a come-to-jeezus meeting with him. YOU pay for it, YOU own it...unless you aren't paying him for the lease/use of the land.

3. PaulinKansas

PaulinKansas Elite Refuge Member

i thought it was legal to plant ag crops for the purpose of hunting waterfowl, as long as the crop is not manipulated in any way and commonly accepted agricultural practices are followed.

the state manages a waterfowl area here, they plant several hundred acres in milo, beans, or wheat, then they flood it with 2-3 feet of water as the season starts. they don't manipulate it.

4. Matt Central Kansas

Matt Central Kansas Senior Refuge Member

As I understand it, told to me by a Kansas CO and a Biologist, it is legal (here) to plant ag crops and hunt it (obviously). BUT!!.. the manipulation issue is an EXTREMELY fine line, because we all know farmers that purposely "lose" residual grain during harvest. It gets hairy there, and enforcement wouldn't have much of a leg to stand on unless they could confirm that excess grain was left in a flagrant attempt to bait migratory birds. Paul is exactly right, the KDWP will flood an unharvested corn patch ear high in certain WA's. Now, that is what I call 'legal baiting.' In fact, I know of a WA manager that dumps 250 bushels of corn to hold resident geese and transported (golf course) geese in the area. The problem I have, is that these birds are promptly killed by the special hunt participants,...to me, that's wrong. Oh here I am, getting off track. sorry.

As far as the money goes, that's too rich for my blood, you'd be better off pocketing that kind of money and buying your own piece of earth IMO.

Matt

5. oltcutdown

oltcutdown Elite Refuge Member

If it's illegal to plant ag crops for the purpose of hunting, I know of a bunch of folks here that are in trouble, including me. Our state WMA's plant corn, milo, millet, wheat, sunflowers, etc. for just that purpose. No harvest, no manipulation, and flood it expressly for the purpose of killing ducks and geese. Here's a pic of a state WMA planted to milo by state personnel that wasn't harvested.

[​IMG]

6. oltcutdown

oltcutdown Elite Refuge Member

Another pic of a green corn field in July on a state WMA, no harvest, no manipulation, planted by the state for attracting ducks, and is hunted everyday of the season.

[​IMG]

7. Tgrindlay

Tgrindlay Elite Refuge Member

So how is your practice different than the states?

8. silvermallard

You fellas need to get a copy of the current waterfowl baiting policy brochure from USFWS and read it...carefully. One of the very first things it discusses in detail is this exact issue. And I'd be willing to bet good money that a federal judge wouldn't give a rat's *** if your lawyer argued that someone else did it and got by with it...even your home state. Furthermore, states DO NOT regulate baiting of migratory birds. The FEDS do. So a state game warden, etc. has no legal authority to interpret these regulations (ie. "I had Officer Smith's permission is NOT gonna get past the judge either). Finally, the regs also VERY EMPHATICALLY state that there is no burden of proof of INTENT. It doesn't matter if someone did it on purpose, on accident, or even knew the area was baited. If you baited it and others hunt it, you're guilty. If you hunt it and someone else baited it, you're guilty. If you do both, you are guilty of both...two separate crimes.

Just read the danged regs. They're pretty easy to understand. :rolleyes:

9. pault76

pault76 Senior Refuge Member

10. silvermallard

It is current, but it is a condensed version of the entire pamphlet. The on-line version makes some references to the "intent to realize a harvest" issue, but doesn't just come out and say it. This is addressed directly and with some detail in the full version.

Thanks, Paul.