Geese Landing...

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by Dextermutt, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Dextermutt

Dextermutt Senior Refuge Member

To me, when your hunting geese, the best part is getting them to commit. Cupped wings and feet down, easily my favorite part if I had to pick one. I enjoy taking a few home for sure but like others have mentioned before, the shooting lasts a few seconds but the memories of things like this last a lifetime. This is a few from about a 30 frame burst and none of the shots are back to back. Last one I might have posted before but I figured I had to throw one in of them finishing.:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dextermutt

3. Lily and me

Lily and me Elite Refuge Member

Amazing. When you are taking pictures like that can you just put your camera on the action setting as well as setting it for burst? I have a digital rebel and would love to try and capture half the quality that you are getting.

4. Dextermutt

Not sure about the rebel, but on the 20d you change the drive setting to continuous I think it's called. I shoot everything in AV mode(aperture priority) In AV mode the camera will automatically select the fastest shutter speed it can with the given aperture and amount of light available. You can then turn up your ISO if the shutter speeds aren't high enough for the kind of action your trying to stop. If you save my pics to your HD and right click properties,select summary, select advanced, you can see the exif file that will tell you what shutter speed, aperture and iso setting was used on each one to give you an idea what shutter speed stops the action in the pic. I am a newbie as well and got some great help from the more experienced photographers on here. Pitboss helped me with the basic settings to get me started so credit goes to him for this info. Hope this helps you out a little.

5. Lily and me

Thank you for the help. Do you use the AV mode for everything? The reason I ask is becasue I end up taking alot of pictures of my kids and was wondering if this setting might work out better.

6. Dextermutt

I have only used AV mode myself and I think a few with it in Auto mode. Other, more experienced guys would probally be better at helping answer your ???s Good luck

7. waterfowlwacker123

waterfowlwacker123 Senior Refuge Member

hey man thats a great pic right there! If i were you i would defintley see if Ducks Unlimited would buy it from me. The fuges' only James Overstreet did that with one of his pics.

8. Lily and me

Thanks for your help. I will try it out and see what I come out with.

9. Pitboss

Pitboss Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

10. fonesplicr

fonesplicr Senior Refuge Member

Love all the shots! I wish there were geese closer to my home here in SoCal.....