Geese won't commit, tough field to hunt

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Smon, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Smon

Smon New Member

Just started hunting geese this year, so my inventory is pretty low.

I am hunting with 18 shells. Plenty of geese around and quite a few interested in the spread, but they won't quite commit to land. I am assuming it is mainly due to the blinds.

So I am looking for some tips regarding blind placement. The field has a circle that is nearly smooth dirt. The north side has a vineyard, the east side has large trees, west side is a road (south not an option). There is a large concrete trough about 250 yards from the edge in the field. We set up our blinds right at the edge of the structure and set the decoys out 25-30 yards.

I see where most guys mud their blinds to hunt a bare field. Problem is this is basically sand, so as soon as it dries, it will just fall right off. Also a visible bump in the field. Digging not an option.

We could set up right at the edge of the vines for extra cover, as there is some wheat coming up around the edges. But how close to those vines will geese land? Is 25-30 yards enough of a gap for them? Or set them further out and shoot them as they are coming in to land? What would be the best spread pattern for something like this.

Thanks for any tips!

2. DtSB

DtSB Senior Refuge Member

Crazy idea here. Try setting the decoys 50-70 yards behind you (upwind). Maybe they'll be in range by the time they figure it out.

Otherwise, hunt by yourself and be the dirt.

3. Smon

Smon New Member

And use the concrete structure to help with cover? Or just in the middle of the field?

4. Rangerbob

Rangerbob Senior Refuge Member

If you are hunting a field that the geese are not using then 18 decoys is going to be a pretty hard sell. You didn't say what kind of blinds you are using. I am assuming layouts. If so do what ever you can to make them the same color as the dirt, maybe use some spray paint to help match, just be sure to not make it a solid color. If you can get close to the color then having a couple of bumps is not all that bad. Just set a shell on your chest or stomach. I wouldn't try to hide more than 2 blinds that way. You might also look into getting some silos. You can get 5dz Dive Bombs for $300. The are very cost effective.

5. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

The best Canada goose blind I ever hunted from was plywood Canada goose cutouts that were placed around me. The smallest of these were 3'x3' and the largest 4'x4'

6. Smon

Smon New Member

Thanks for the tips!

I would love to get some more decoys...but will need to wait another year. It was already tough enough explaining to my wife why $100 for 18 "plastic geese" was a good deal. Ha!

Blinds are temporary...although surprisingly good. Just a homemade layout covered in burlap and dyed raffia grass.

The geese do use the field. It was planted in peanuts...so they do come down for those and the edges in wheat. It's just getting them to the spots closer to the edges where we can hide.

I thought about using spray glue on the burlap to stick sand to. Anyone tried this?

7. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

How many blinds are you hiding?
    Are the geese using the field ?
    Have the geese ever used the field
    Can you dig in, Can you leave your blinds in the field?

Now most farmers wont want you doing this,..but some might and relatives
    Make piles of duff in the field and maybe in multiple locations.
    Even a small pit

8. Wareagle1

Wareagle1 Senior Refuge Member

Make your own edge. Put brush along the edge where you wanna hunt, a couple days before you go out if possible. We use lots of tumbleweeds unfortunately, but they make for a great hide. Come hunt day brush your blinds in with your edge you made, make sure the blinds are not visible.
    If geese look but don't commit you may want to push your decoys out farther, 10 maybe 15 yards.

9. Smon

Smon New Member

4 blinds at most. I know 1 or two is easier....but 95% of the fun is being out there with a few buddies

Can't dig in the actual field. I could next to the concrete trough.

Leaving the blinds out is an option. But due to high winds...good chance your blind is in another county or torn up the next morning.

I like the idea of planting stuff in the field. There are already a couple places where stuff has piled up due to some rains. Just not big enough for more than 1 person. Adding some extras around there might allow us to hide a little better and not be an obvious blob out there.

10. Duck Wrangler

Duck Wrangler Senior Refuge Member

We have put square bales of hay/straw out a few days ahead and then use the bale to cover the layouts the morning that we hunt. Just put one bale per blind somewhat close to where you actually want to set up.