Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

Geese

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by Jon C, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Jerry

Jerry Elite Refuge Member

Daughters BF drug his gear up and sat it by the door last night. He got an invite. Will see how he does.

2. Jerry

Jerry Elite Refuge Member

They seen a few around canton but they had a hard time committing

3. Avian Thunder II

Avian Thunder II Elite Refuge Member

the snow/cold has really made a difference in the middle of the state this week if your area had birds. Today I wore 4 compression or insulated undergarments, one regular sweat shirt, 3 hooded sweatshirts and a heavy parka-like insulated coat. Had 3 hoods up. 2 UA compression pants, heavy pants and a pair of snow camo pants.
    Talk about feeling like "poppin-fresh" .... had to let the geese get within 15 yds cause they get 10-15 quick as I struggled to get my gun to my shoulder. Battery operated socks kept my feet comfortable for the 3.5 hr hunt. They should fly very well tomorrow with the warmer temps.

4. duck_killer00

duck_killer00 Senior Refuge Member

Didn't see the honkers I was hoping for but good god the specks....
    [​IMG]

Damian Wiening likes this.
  5. jzee

jzee Elite Refuge Member

The specs, how cool is that, we have been hunting geese 30 plus years in Northest IL and have only ever seen one in season. About 8 years ago during a spring snow goose season I was in a pit in Canton and had 5-6 hundred land on top of us. Someday, did a trade a hunt with a guy from Louisiana this year, Canadas for specs, he shot his 1st banded /Dark goose.

Congrats on a great shoot.

6. Jon C

Jon C Elite Refuge Member

The geese around me have been waiting to fly until the last 40 minutes of shooting time..

7. R.K.

R.K. New Member

Geese were thick on Sunday. I hit Champaign around 3, and saw several thousand from the intestate as I headed north and hit Kankakee at dark. Multiple feeds with several hundred geese in them, all in picked/disced corn.

8. Avian Thunder II

Avian Thunder II Elite Refuge Member

Geese flew well in the rain and wind today ... easy pickins. However, the decoy races / sprints (and big foot blow overs / even with weights) across a corn stalk field were a pain in the bu_t. And although it has warmed up, the unsettled weather (rain, clouds and wind) should make it pretty good for the rest of the week.

9. 81arnghunter

81arnghunter Refuge Member

Sand fill the bases on your bigfoots it make them heavy but you never have to chase them down!

Jon C likes this.
  10. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

seem we will give the greese a pass down here this year dam